Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from motorcycles a few years, and want to come back to it.

I'm in the US, but prefer European or Japan style models.

Can anyone recommend a good machine to buy? Here are the criteria:

Style: naked or half-faired, sports-tourer (not cruiser)
Size: 900 cc plus, prefer air-cooled (liquid ok)
Make: prefer Japanese or European (US maybe)
Wheels: Alloy
Drive: shaft, chain, belt (in that order)
Seat: Reasonably comfortable for two up
Price: around US$10K

I really appreciate any help!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Shaft? Naked? Not too many of those around. Most nakeds (good choice by the way!) have chains. The only naked shaft-drive bike I can think of off hand is the Moto Guzzi Breva, which comes in an 1100 or 1200 cc configuration -- which for Guzzi would give you overall power about the same as a mildy tuned 900 cc inline 4. The only issue with Guzzis is finding a good dealer nearby.

Other than that, check out the Honda 919, which would be a good bike for sports-touring. I ride a 599, which is a smaller version of the 919 -- my avatar has a pic of it. I do a ton of long-distance touring on that bike, and the 919 may be just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Pony up about $7000 and buy a 2006 or 2007 Ducati S2R 800. You'll get a Ducati cool, air-cooled roadster that everyone will love. Or buy a 2009 Ducati 696 Monster and get the "New" look- spend around $8000 buy the gap coverage and you get a 2 yr unltd mile warranty with towing included for your safety and convenience. BTW- the new 696 has the same power as the 800.
Kirk

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Get a 2005 or earlier Bandit 1200. Air-cooled, dead reliable, dirt cheap, and simple to maintain. You can find excellent examples for less than $3500 and use the rest of your ten grand riding the crap out of it. Easily the best bargain in motorcycling. Ask anybody that owns one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pony up about $7000 and buy a 2006 or 2007 Ducati S2R 800. You'll get a Ducati cool, air-cooled roadster that everyone will love. Or buy a 2009 Ducati 696 Monster and get the "New" look- spend around $8000 buy the gap coverage and you get a 2 yr unltd mile warranty with towing included for your safety and convenience. BTW- the new 696 has the same power as the 800.
Kirk
Tx. I like Ducatis. I wondered if the 696 Monster was a bit small, given I want to do a bit of 2-up touring. I liked the GT1000 except for the spoked wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get a 2005 or earlier Bandit 1200. Air-cooled, dead reliable, dirt cheap, and simple to maintain. You can find excellent examples for less than $3500 and use the rest of your ten grand riding the crap out of it. Easily the best bargain in motorcycling. Ask anybody that owns one.
Tx! This looks a great bike! I'll be sure to look around. Is there a want list somewhere on Motorcycle.com?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.