Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the oil look like a vanilla milk shake? If so, drain it, change the filters (katooms have two, right?) and repeat a couple times.

You might want to pour some dry cleaning solvent through the oil tank (front downtube) with the oil lines disconnected to get rid of any junk that might have collected there too.

Did the same thing to a new 1978 XL250, didn't hurt it one bit. Had to swim down to it, tie a rope to the front wheel and have a couple buddies help me pull it to the surface (don't ride in filled up strip mines).

·
Registered
155 Posts
has happened to me a couple of times....taking some water crossings too fast and hitting some river bed junk and tossing me off..

was the bikes engine running for long when you hit the water..in my experience especially while racing ..i have often sucked water through the airbox and just had it blow out the exhaust like steam ...usually you'd have the throttle pinned to stop it stalling and just hope for the best!

but it you were pottering along the engine probably died straight away ..i cant imagine anything major got down into the engine if you could start it up after ..

the technique of pulling the plug and pumping any water out of the cyclinder or if there is manual decompression just letting it flow out the exhaust valves ...then youre good to go

if the oil is milky or full of junk it would be hard to see how it ran much after ...i am betting next time you fire it up if its using some oil or burning it then maybe a new set of piston rings will be all you need..

i used to have a 400sx ktm maybe 5 years ago and i think i remember there being a heap of filters and screens everywhere on that bike ..they should catch everything

and the best advice of all..when approaching suspect waterholes ...stop as if you need to adjust something and let the guy behind do the test pilot work for you :)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
If there's water in it - just throw some sawdust in there to soak it up, works every time.

Mud? Just rinse it out with water........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Been there, done that....

Pull the valve cover and oil drain plug and run diesel thru the motor. Hand crank it a few times to get everything out. Then change the oil 5-6 times (u can use cheap oil) and u should be ok

·
Registered
96 Posts
I should've said to pour diesel around the cams and have it drain out thru the sump. Don't try to run the bike on it :). Not like it will anyway....

good luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good for you. I work for an Insurance company that sees a ton of this stuff and they don't all work out without problems. I'm very happy to say that this is not an insurable loss. If you like your toys - take care of them and keep the internal combustion engine away from it's basic enemy - Water!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Diesel?

works great as an engine flush, and doesn't ruin rubber seals. I've always done it this way everytime I've sunk my dirt bike.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
When I sank my Super Rat I just turned it upside down with the plug out and cranked it dry with the kick starter

·
Registered
126 Posts
Engine ran for a short time possibly a few seconds after it fell into water. Not much crap came out of cylinder after removing plug and kicking it over. Yea the oil is milky. So I'm looking at either no problem or a new engine. Wow what a dicotomy of ideas. Not sure I'm happy or terrified for my visa card.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sunk my 400 EXC a few years ago. I was miles from any other way out. Took plug out. turned bike upside down hit the kick start a few times, put the plug back in, wrung out the filter. Ran fine the trip home. changed the oil 4 times, the last change the oil had no water. My air box had no sign of mud, but I put in a new filter and never thought twice about it.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, but that was a 2 stroke. 4 strikers are muy malo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.