Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like my earlier post says, used Ducatis are a good idea. But buying one as your first bike? I can't believe we've dedicated so much discussion to the topic. I don't have any problem with you buying a 748 after six months but jeez, don't be an idiot. All right, be an idiot. Whatever.

Would you give one of your kids a stick-shift sports car and say, "Have fun learning to drive, you only get to be a cool sports-car driving 16 year old once, you know!"

Criminy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went from Metric Sportbikes to a Ducati 999 and it was one of the best moves I ever made! While the GSXR, ZX10, R1 and RR produce a lot more power and are a lot cheaper this bike handles like a dream. I've also road a number of high milage ducs that still pull like a new bike out of the box. You need to be careful on the valves of course and you always will pay a bit more for Ducati so check out this Speedzilla site and ask the users there what they think.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=19

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Now that I think about it, the Volare' was not Ricardo's car. Ricardo was the pitchman for the Cordoba which of course came with fine Corinthian leather.

It was probably the same car but the Volare was a Plymouth and the Cordoba was a Chrysler.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hell, buy it. You want it and won't be satisfied with anything less. Just don't whine too much about the maintenance costs or the scratched plastic once you drop it (preferably not at speed). Complaining about a Duc is like complaining about getting crabs from a prostitute -- it's part of the "experience."

·
Registered
128 Posts
First bike? Sure, buy it! Darwin will love you... Just, please, if you live anywhere near LA, take it somewhere other than the Angeles Crest for fun. There are enough clueless squids going up there already, like the two guys on Ducatis a few weeks ago who coming down the Crest were holding me up (Honda NH 750) by taking every wrong line in every curve (lots of straying over the yellow line), twisting the throttle in the short straights, then scaring themselves and overbraking at every subsequent curve, while hanging out of their seat like they were Capirossi. It was fun to watch, in a morbid way, but I hung back because they were an accident waiting to happen. Get the bike, get some training, and I can still assure you that in a few years you'll look back and if you are still in one piece you will say to yourself: "Self, now that I know how to ride, I know I bad a rider I was then: should not have bought that stupid Duc."

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Hey wait a minuite, were you wearing a black helmet?

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, a blue one, not too dark either. I came up on them on the last part of the ride, toward La Canada, after you pass the connection to the Angeles Forest. I am no Rossi, and the Nighthawk is no Duc, but I should have taped them to show at motorcycling classes ("Pay attention, class! This is how NOT to ride..."). I had the clear feeling that if something out of the ordinary had happened, those two would have immediately done the worst possible thing in that given situation and would have crashed. Gorgeous bikes, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some people are meant for Japanese bikes and some are meant for European.....and then there are Italian bikes. Most die-hard Japanese bike owners can't fathom as to why anyone would want an Italian bike. They are a completely different type of person, driven by "safety"....the sure thing...You should avoid their opinions when talk centers on Italian bikes.., as usually they offer no insight or useful advice and have no clue as to what it is about Italian bikes that draw some to them. Not a slam, just an observed fact, typically. Italian bikes "can" have their problems, and they can run flawlessly, but if you know that and can deal with the potential issues, the rewards of ownership are far greater than what any run of the mill dime a dozen "easy purchase" will give you. There's more to riding and ownership than having the fastest most reliable bike out there. Those who are in the know will understand! Snide remarks may now be givin!!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.