Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I see looming on the horizon … lets see.

Yep, speed restrictors and horsepower limits!

Thanks Lou and other infantiles for f*cking it up for all bikers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1st post!

I've never had occassion to run from the police... knock on wood I try to selectively speed on stretches of straight where I can see any potential speed traps, and even at that I seldom exceed 15mph over the posted speed. Anybody out there ever run from police and get away? Anyone try to run then get caught?

·
Registered
194 Posts
"It's like a Mustang. People don't buy them to do 55 (mph)," he said.

God, I need to get me a Mustang! I hear those are built for speed! Better yet, I hear Accords are faster than Mustangs.. can't afford one of those though.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"1st post!"

Ha-haaa!

I love when that happens.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
As the Chicago representative of the GPTB, I find this behavior abhorrent. I never speed, run stop signs or red lights, and I obey every traffic law on the books, always. These people should be captured and subjected to a lifetime of debating KPaul on the merits of the 600cc four, biodiesel, and liberal conservatism. Or is it conservative liberalism? Anyway, about 3 months into their lifetime stretch, they will be so loony they will want to all buy Buells and go to Freddie Spencer's Superbike school.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Just wait until the bigger cities realize that they can levy insanely massive fines and use these to buy another police copter just to patrol the freeways. Then you ain't a gettin' away with runnin' no mo, squid.

If it saves just one life.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
This article is crap. Everybody is telling stories to look good, and the writer and paper editor bought it.

Lou was going 168 mph on his Kawasaki 1000 motorcycle last year when he noticed the flashing lights of an Illinois State Police car behind him on the Bishop Ford Freeway in Chicago.
Sure, buddy:

1. Lou's checking his mirrors while he's traveling a quarter-mile every five seconds, and...
  2. Said mirrors are so rock-steady that he can see lights half a mile? a mile? behind him and...
  3. He knows it's the law a-comin' for him.
But for every person they ticket, at least one gets away, troopers said.

However, specific data on just how many bikers don't get caught wasn't available because troopers aren't required to note these incidents in their field reports.
This one stands without comment. At least the reporter asked if there were actual statistics available or if les gendarmes were just pulling it out of their utility belts.

c

·
Registered
466 Posts
The article smells like something created by anti-bike journalists ... too much general info and is "Lou" even for real ? The article doesn't give stats for how many rocketeers of this type crash and burn every night long before they can annoy the police. I just hope that if anyone is going to speed like this they don't hurt anybody else.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Low-Speed Motorcycles Proving Too Slow for Chicago Cops.

I did the same thing on my Cushman Super Eagle a few years ago, but around here the cops all had Dodge Darts with slant sixes.

"He hit his lights and slid right by me, couldn't stop fast enough, so I rode into a nearby hedge of jacaranda and hid."

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the comment about we used to be able to catch them when they only did 170 LOL! (paraphrasing). LIke there is a difference between 170 and 190. They should know the crotch rockets are limited to 186 mph by a gentlemens agreement anyway unless its been modified. It is scary though. These guys need to find a race track or go to bonnevile. Insane speeds can be as bad for our rights as loud pipes. You have to choose your place and time. A city street ain't it.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Bonneville is about 10 days away...riding up in the mothership with Hairball racing. Should be a hoot.

Lookout Bendover!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If 'ol Lou is a cruisin' down the Bishop Ford knowin' he's a goin' 168MPH an' noticin' Cops behind him I'm a guessin' it wasn't rush hour.

I'm also guessing that his story sounds "fishy". First he's already speeding and "noticed the flashing lights of an Illinois State Police car behind him...". Then ""The trooper "hit his lights, and I was gone,"" Kind of a two-fer eh? Either version would have worked better alone IMHO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lou has cruise control. So he just set it at 168 and was able to sit side-saddle and look behind him, avoiding the mirror vibration issue.

Perhaps he had his digital speedo set on metric, and he was really doing 168 kph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, this story is very poorly written. If I were to take "Lou" at his word based on this piece, the trooper was doing 170sh behind him when he turned on his lights but "Lou" was able to accelerate away using his monster Kawi. All patently untrue.

And I love how cops do this all "in the interest of safety." Here's an idea that'll increase safety and keep folks out of jail at the same time: unrestricted speed limits on interstates outside of city limits. People could go get their speed fix on I-80 where it's safe and not be going ton up through town. Of course, that's not gonna line the coffers, so that's out.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Lou is the reason that police, feds, the EU and Insurance companies hate sportbikes. Lou and all the other Lou wannabes are just mucking up the works. As far as I'm concern, if you evade the police then the police should be able to use deadly force to stop you. It's that cut and dry. No slap on the wrist for being a bad boy. Just take them out. Then all the the rest of the squids might wise up when they know that a possible loss of life looms if they run. Sorry if you disagree with this but after 10 yrs in the bail bond business and 7 yrs in the insurance business and having a family filled with cops and lawyers you have little pity on the stupid.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.