Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Higher profits in Yamaha

I suppose when consumers show up at a Yamaha shop they'll get to read company propoganda instead of actually seeing new models/parts. Good luck on higher profits Yamaha!

·
Registered
134 Posts

It's hard enough to find a popular model at a dealership now. So they're going to cut back inventory 30% more? Ouch.

Someone wrote in one of the comments a few months back that the reason Honda doesn't send more of it's Europe-only models to the U.S. is that the U.S. dealers want to keep the number of SKU's down.

I do not understand how some of these dealers stay in business with such weak service, selection and pricing.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

That's not what they are saying. What they are saying is that they are making their current operations more efficient by reducing the inventory of things that no one wants. Overall inventory will go down, but inventory of parts/bikes that people want and are buying may actually increase.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Yup, you're right. IF Yam gets it right (a big if) a revamped supply chain manangement system should provide for less inventory on hand but a much faster method of replacing popular items. Items that don't see much movement should benefit as they will be able to take advantage of the increased swiftness of the transportation part of the SCM equation. In theory ;-)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

"I do not understand how some of these dealers stay in business with such weak service, selection and pricing. "

Small dealers often can't afford to stock large numbers of bikes. If they don't sell as well as the dealer thought, then the dealer is stuck with a bunch of inventory that will cost him money. Instead, they either trade with other dealers whent they need a particular model, or buy one from the manufacturer at that point.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Yep, and we'll have all the propaganda we can swallow and not any more than that if they get the SCM thing worked out.

This bet has its risks tho. Weakest link in the chain stops everything (just like now), but you have far less time to react. Happy to hear they aren't upping the prices of the bikes to get profit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: FZ-1 price drop

I just read on Motorcycle News that Yamaha was dropping the price on the FZ-1 in Europe. Any news that the same will happen over here? Seems they are trying to match the price of the Honda 916. If I got the exchange rate right, it shoud sale for around $6500 over here if they drop it the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
euro trash

We don't get the euro bikes because americans refuse to buy the darn things. The big sport tourers, naked/standards and commuters are museum material in "Harley and sportbike only" USA.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That can't be right...

That would make it $1500 less than the ZRX1200 and only about $700 more than an SV650 or Bandit 600. Are you sure that wasn't the price for the Fazer 600? (which coincidentally, does come in at roughly $700 more than the SV)

Wait--I'm pulling up stats from web pages and you must have made a mistake in converting currency. In the US, the 919 is priced at $8000--same as the ZRX. The FZ1 is a mere $500 more. Even the much-lower-tech Bandit 1200S is $7400.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If Yamaha really wanted to increase profits...

They'd compete with the SV650 in the cheap, light, fun, and practical category. Maybe an FZ6 priced at $5999? Base the engine on the 600R instead of the R6 if need be, but keep the cost under 6k.

I mean, that's the only segment I can think of where they must be struggling. If the company is in trouble economically, then there's some internal problems to deal with. Yamaha is doing great in cruisers. R1s and R6s are everywhere. They nearly own the super-standard market with the VMAX and the FZ1. So their tourers are a bit weak, but most US touring riders would just buy a GL1800 or BMW anyway, so I can't blame them for not fighting a losing fight. But I think that they might stand a chance against the SV with an FZ6, if they keep the price down.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here you go

The current exchange rate is 1 GB Pound=1.42 US Dollars. So $5995 would translate to $8512, only pocket change away from the current US MSRP.

Either they were getting gouged before (7795 pounds is $11000!), or motorcycles are more expensive in Britain (I think it's the latter).

·
Registered
237 Posts
If Yamaha really wanted to increase profits...

They would release the FJR1300 here in the states. I'd buy one. That might help their struggling touring market too (I know it's "sport touring", but the FRJ seems more of a tour-sport motorcycle to me).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

How much of the "non-introduction" is force fed and how much is buyer evolution. In Yamahas case, I think they practice self-fullfilling prophesy. I don't believe they have their fingers on the pulse of America like they once did.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Very true. I also think some of their past failures have made them gunshy. During my adventure as the "FJR petition dude," I had a chance to talk to the Yamaha customer service guy assigned to me (yes, they assigned someone to talk to me...I was sort of a pain in the rear :). Anyway, he mentioned the demise of the GTS1000 several times. Also, the YZF1000R got great reviews, but didn't do very here (I had one). On the one hand, Yamaha never seems to give a U.S. "Euro" model very long to take root here, and on the other hand, we in the U.S. have not been quick about buying them. Anyway, there are currently lots of once hardcore sportbike riders that arent cruiser types in the U.S. The FZ1 was a good start and is selling well, but it doesn't suit anyone that wants to do some distance. Do we really need ELEVEN different "Star" models? Jeez.

·
Registered
30 Posts

My local Yamaha dealer is a crowed place. First there are the sport bikes then the turing models followed by the best Harley knock offs around. Can't stop there now we have the hunting-farming atv's to walk around, still room for some more? Well, there is watercraft-not just "jet" skis but also, what are getting to be, very large boats. It would seem that they have it all covered, and if that's a problem it's one most companies would like to have. The company I work for is spending major money changing how everything is manufactured, now the mantra of the day is "just in time" the goal is to reduce inventory while at the same time shorten the time it takes to fill a dealer order. We have been trying to achieve this for over five years now. I would think Yamaha is going the same route or just revamping their own "just in time" process.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.