Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
A list of 2003 NHRA Pro Stock Bike rules updates:

Page 154 (eff. 1/1/03)

Introduction: Replace second sentence with "Minimum weight at conclusion of run: Harley-Davidson or NHRA-accepted American push rod V-twin up to 160 cid, 550 pounds, including rider; Harley Davidson or NHRA-accepted American push rod V-twin 161 to 200 cid, 600 pounds, including rider; …"

Page 154 (eff. 1/1/03)

Engine: Replace second sentence with "Harley V-twin or NHRA-accepted American push rod V-twin, 45-degree case only, maximum 3,278cc (200cid)." Replace fourth sentence with "NHRA-accepted aftermarket Harley-Davidson or American push rod V-twin engine cases with cylinder angle between 45 and 60 degrees, up to 160 cid, permitted."

Page 155 (eff. 1/1/03)

Fuel System: Replace final sentence with "EFI permitted on certain Harley-Davidson or American push rod V-twin engines accepted by NHRA."

Page 155 (eff. 1/1/03)

Transmission: Replace second sentence with "Transmission must be contained within the stock case, except Harley-Davidson or NHRA-accepted American push rod V-twin."

i would hope they are competitive......the rules do everything but give them a headstart.

·
Registered
320 Posts
1st let me just get this out of the way for everyone........Harleys suck, always have, always will. Twins are a prehistoric configuration and (are rightly) going the way of the Dodo.

That being said, way to go!

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
This motor actually is a push rod engine but it is 60 degrees like the Vrod. That is about the only thing it has in common.

The I-4s don't share any parts with any motorcycles either.

·
Registered
771 Posts
IT'S A V-ROD MOron

Re read the PR shtick above. Its a V-rod and that motor is a water cooled 60deg overehead cam 4 valve per cyl. motor, so absolutly none of those rules stated above apply.

Please be more carefull in the future;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: IT'S A V-ROD MOron

It's a V-Rod in the same way that those NASCAR racers are Monte Carlos and Taruses etc, or, to stay in the drag racing arena, like a Firebird funny car is like your Firebird. In similar fashion, this "V-Rod" does have an air-cooled pushrod V-twin to take advantage of the huge displacement break offered for such configurations. The Suzukis etc that they race against also have few, if any actual production parts

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I would agree that Harleys are bloated, overpriced, pieces of crap I don't know that the v-twin is going anywhere soon.

My next bike will be a v-twin (Ducati or possibly Aprilia) sportbike. Also, it seems to me that there is still quite a market for v-twins. Suzuki has done quite well with the SV650, and the SV1000 will also likely do quite well. It's not all about absolute top-end hp to all of us.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Please, no one take this the wrong way, but if anyone on this site is deluded enough to think that any pro level racing machine is anything like a stock, off the showroom floor, machine, then they need to stop visiting this site and go hang out with the herseyhighwayman, and his leather clad, oiled and buffed boys.

Even the privateers take full advantage of the rules and modify every piece they can afford to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Holy crap. I am looking at my favorite motorcycle site, I click on the news section, and what is there but news about bike related topics (the above is meant as sarcasm). I know we all wake up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes, but I can't believe people are complaining about m/c related news. If you don't like H-D then don't read the article. If you want to speak poorly of the article at least know your facts. BTW if anyone knows where I can get a T-rex please let me know, an unknown neighbor's little yappy dog is crapping on my lawn.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Beware the engine Nazis

You just happened to run across the engine Nazis. Only one engine configuration should be tested on MO and competed with on our racetracks (I'll let you guess which configuration that is).

These geniuses believe they have stumbled upon some revelation figuring out that given a similar displacement, the engine with more cylinders will make more power. Of course the local high school cheerleading squad could probably figure that out also, but this doesn't stop the engine Nazis.

According to the Engine Nazis, only sportbikes should be tested at MO. Even a recent sport-touring comparo took heat because (gasp!), some of the bikes had V-Twins.

god-forbid you mention the name Harley-Davidson in front of the Engine Nazis. Riding a motorcycle with an inferior engine with riders who won't wave is grounds for execution at the hands of the Engine Nazis.

Finally, if you are a racing promotor, don't you dare do anything to be inclusive of all brands and styles. Your goal shouldn't be to put paying customers in the stands but to make sure only the superior engine configuration is represented. Always put the Engine Nazis desires before profits.

You've been warned..........

·
Registered
441 Posts

C'mon Noknee, I think Bob's point was that you're the one who should go hangout with the HersheyHighwayMan if you think this V-rod wasn't taking full advantage of the rules which favor American pushrod v-twins.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.