Motorcycle Forums banner

Hit Before Even Riding, Heads Up to Newbies

11919 Views 47 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  Dennisfootpole
First Post :p

Are you sure the $4000 isn't for full coverage? If so, do like me (my insurance on my F3 would have been sky-high if I fully covered the bike) and get just the minimum coverage the law requires.

It should get you to a reasonable level.

I ended up selling the F3 and getting a naked sportbike = much cheaper to insure, and just as fun (or more fun!).
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
I have just liability, and for a year it is only $300. I have one ticket, and the bike is 1000cc. My coverage is through Mendota. On the flip side I was looking at a real sweet FZR400 with a worked over 600 motor and that was only going to cost $35 a year. Anything under 500cc is real cheap. If you have the title in hand just get liability.
By the way I am 28, 25 is the cut off to be a responsible adult.
I'm sure that very high figure is for full coverage. There are a few things you might want to try first before giving up on motorcycling.

1. Shop around - Rates can vary VASTLY from company to company. Some companies don't want the hassle of insuring sportbikes, and their rates show it.

2. I would NOT go with the state minimums or a fly-by night company. Insurance is there for when you really need it. If you have an accident and a judgement goes against you, it could absolutely wipe you out, financially.

3. Consider a different class of bike. Sportbikes are sexy and tempting, but they are expensive. Not just the cost of the bike, but (as you found out) insurance, and the incidentals, like tires, brake rotors, chains, etc.

Personally, I'm fond of dual-sport bikes. A used one can be picked up fairly inexpensively. Insurance on them is LOW since they aren't on the thieves, cops, or insurance company's radar screens. Fit a set of semi-sticky tires on comething like a KLR650 and you'll be hopping off curbs with a big dopey grin on your face in no time.

Spend a couple of years on that. Hopefully, by that time, you've been a good boy and that record will be cleaned up. Perhaps the economy will be better and maybe your financial picture, as well. You can re-visit the sportbike realm with a clean record, and important rider experience.

Oh, and beware of the 'bargain' bike. The sales price may be only half the story. The bike may need tires, chain/sprockets, bearings, engine work, seals/gaskets, you name it. That leaves you with a $1500 bike that may need $1500 more to make it right. No matter what you buy, unless you know what you're doing, have the owner take the bike to your dealer/mechanic and pay the shop $50 to give it a look over. It could save you a TON of money in the long run.

You may not get exactly what you want, but at least you're out there. Good luck!
See less See more
dmcelvain hit it on the head.....

1) Shop around!

2) If used, aviod having damage protection for your bike, but have high limits on everything else.

3) Buy a non-faired bike, 600cc or less

4) Have a 2nd opinion befroe buying aused bike.

5) I'm a recruiter in L.A. Unless you are in I.T., there are MANY jobs out there. ( If you are in I.T., you are screwed )

Good luck!!!
See less See more
Give me a break dude. A 1500 dollar motorcycle does not require theft or collision. If you can't afford to loose 1500 dollars , god forbid, you should not even be riding. You only need to insure things of great value because it would be difficult to replace. Dude just do the math and use your head. You should be more concerned with learning how to be a good rider. Being a good rider will do more for protecting you and your motorcycle than collision and theft insurance. I estimate I have saved > 30,000 dollars in my 20 + years of riding by not having

theft and collision. Your focus should be becoming an smart and skilled rider. Welcome bro. Become road smart and skilled and you place the odds in your favor and just like me you will reap the rewards.
Good purchase. Find cheaper liability coverage and spend a bunch on track days. Hone your skills and you'll soon learn that that ancient 600 will still keep up or even beat the latest and greatest when handled with skill.
Responsible 25 Year Old? Is there such a thing?

WTF?! With a "dirty" driving record! And you want to get a CBR600F2? It's newbies like you (young, inexperienced and on a bike that is more than you can handle, living in a congested city) that drove up the rates for the rest of the motorcyclists (and that is the same for the "old" newbies, too!). How about getting a dual-sport, like a Suzuki DR350, or KLR650? I pay $75 a year for insurance on my DR350. Of course, I turn 39 tomorrow and that might have something to do w/it. Plus, I don' t live in LA anymore. You'll be surprised how well they corner in the twisties and they will teach you how to maintain your cornering speed w/momentum rather than twisting the throttle/hitting the brake, i.e. you'll be smoother in the corners. If you are really hardcore, find a supermoto. It will outperform that CBR in everthing but dragracing/top speed. You'll have a better chance of surviving and "maturing" as a motorcyclist. I like your choice of bike, but, as I recall, it was stolen quite a bit and wrecked a lot by the riders who bought them, hence high insurance rates. How about a used Honda 650 Hawk? At 230 lb, torque is more important than HP. I can relate, I'm 6'-0" and 235lb. You could move out of LA or even California. :)

Good luck!

Singles and Twins Forever!
See less See more
Since you're just writing a check and not doing any financing, carry 100/300k liability and a few thou in medical. I pay about $145 a year for that type of coverage with Progressive. Be prepared to shell out some bucks to fix your bike if you break it.

The shop around comment rings so true. When I had a quote done by progressive for my KLR650 they wanted $4000 a year (my BMW $6000). Little shopping and I found full coverage for $274 a year. On a used bike you can get just PL and PD but I would highly recommend uninsured motorists coverage just to cover your own butt. Also like someone else suggested run the highest limits you can get. The 15/25 or less minimums the state requires is just too little. I run 100/300 for only about $50 more a year. Also if you have a car adding your bike to your existing policy gets you discounts at many places. Especially if its "Part time" or 2cnd vehicle coverage.

Call a few of the local shops and see what companies they recommend. Some companies go by CC's only and some go by bike type. With bike type companies you could insure a bandit 1200 cheaper than a race rep 600 yet we all know the Bandito Grande is one stonkin bike. Just keep looking, affordable coverage is out there.

On the plus side as a newbie the fear of your coverage skyrocketing may keep you from doing something stupid. Which in turn will greatly aid in you not becoming a statistic.

Ride safe and good luck! Welcome to the club.
See less See more
shop around

Like so many have said shop around


if you already have health insurance you only need LIB

Full coverage for my 2003 Harley Softtail Classic is $675
The best way to knock the rates down is to get a bike proportionate to you experience and skill level. Get a GS500 or even better a DR350 and ride that for a minimum of six months, preferrable a year.

A new rider has no business being on a CBR600 unless he/she is just getting his/her picture taken.

IMNSHO, all the people above telling you to only get basic coverage so you can afford that CBR are morons.
Re: Answer to life's problems for newbies

Buy an SV650. You can't go wrong!
I say buy basic coverage if you own the title. Unless you are a bad driver you will statisticly be better off. I know a guy who owns a salvage yard (for cars) and he said that if you can go 3 years with out a wreck you will save by going with just liability. The average cost of repair for a wreck is under the total amount paid for insurance. Now that is for cars, but it should ring true for bikes to. If you are wecking more than once every three years sell the bike. Plus he is talking about spending less than 2 grand for the bike. If he wrecks it he can get a decent portion of the investment back by parting the bike out on ebay.
You might think about looking at bikes that don't have that 'cbr' in their names (still honda--like vtr, etc). Insurance rates are based upon insurance claims, and the cbr is one that has had a lot of claims due to the number of idiots that purchase and wreck them (and themselves about half the time). Dittos for gsxr's and a few others. My first sportbike was a vtr, and the insurance quotes for it were about a third fo the quotes for a cbr---simply because the vtr was brand new and had no history of claims at the time. Even now it's substantially less because that bike has not had the history of claims of the cbr. Your crap driving record doesn't speak to having the best of judgement, so you're going to pay the price for that whatever you ride, but shop for bikes with lower rates, shop for insurance vendors with lower rates, and clean up your driving record (in other words---grow up) and you'll get to a point where you can afford the price of entry.
My TL100S cost $40 a year to insure. No I do not have theft or collision on it. Too expensive. I insure myself. I can afford to crash/lose the bike and eat it instead of paying exhorbitant insurance. We have ourselves to blame. Too many squids throwing away brand new liter bikes they have no business being on.

Riding a GSXR1000, for example, is a rich man's game due to insurance costs. No, not to pay the rates, no way I would hand that money over. It is expensive as the only way I would do it is to buy the bike for cash and carry only liability on it. Crash it and I am SOL, but I am willing to write the check, ride well and assume the risk.

The only flaw in my cool plan (other than paying cash) is if some uninsured person in a jalopy car takes me out, wrecks my bike and injures me. Then I am screwed.

Ride well, that is the answer. Street riding is a high risk untertaking, make no mistake about it. Go in with your eyes open.
See less See more
Where's KPaul alias Bubbleboy

Lots of tickets means high insurance. Unless, I suppose, you're KPaul the Bubbleboy with side airbags on your Cushman.
try AAA

i insured my bike through AAA, it costs about $650 a year full coverage (excluding medical) for a 97 ninja zx6r. i'm 20 and live in los angeles, so rates should probably be around the same for you too. if you get only liability the insurance is really inexpensive. you need to get membership though, that doesn't cost much either, plus there's roadside assistance in case your bike breaks down.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.