Motorcycle Forums banner
241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Oops

You claimed you've been riding 50 miles a weekend in preparation for the big race. You recently posted that you took the day off to ride.

Now you're not getting your bike back until Monday?

Guess you're lying again Mr Phony.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: Oops

Sounds like he crashed it again.

Yes, Indeed. He is well and truly on his way to Winning The Race. (the race we're all running where the prize is a hole in the ground, that is)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Actually, you don't want torque or HP, you want THRUST...

You don't really want torque or horsepower. What you want is thrust to the rear wheel.

And that peaky powerband means you actually have crappy thrust over 1/2 the revv range.

I'd rather have an engine that has 1/2 the torque, revvs twice as high (same power), but where the powerband STILL starts at 3k.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I pronounce this Patient Officially "Dead". Call the time;

"11:49 PST"

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
So, MO's clock is 44-seconds slow.

Sue Me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ABS instead of engine

To my way of thinking, I'd rather see ABS on Buells than a new engine. Really now, who doesn't offer ABS except the Motor Company? Kinda pitiful. I checked out the Uly a few weeks ago, and the lack of ABS makes me think twice. I pretty much liked the bike, but a few hundred bucks worth of ABS can save your bacon . . .

Anybody else think the lack of ABS is a glaring omisson these days?

Duke

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Last Word

1. Buell needs a wider powerband

2. People who buy Sportsters "think they want a cruiser, and would not easily be attracted to the Buell. The leap is too great.

3. License an engine tranny design. A good fit might be the the old TL1000 engine. Its not like Erice Buell is intellectually wedded to the HD derived engine, It is the powerplant he has, and is making due. All the bikes innovations are in everyplace, but the engine.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: The Last Word

You forget; Buell IS wedded to Harley powerplants. He wasn't when he first started putting the Sportster motor in his bikes, then Harley sank a bundle into Buell (the company). There's no going back now, - Harley is the Parent Company, and they're not sellin' it.

You WILL NEVER see a Japanese-derived engine in a Buell (not from the factory, nor as a test mule).

Like it or Lump it, Buells will have a Harley-approved, Harley-derived motor from now to the End of Time. Because Erik likes it that way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you commute 10K/year, then yes, it will get expensive to own a Ducati unless you learn to do the maintenance yourself.

I've never lived far enough to commute. Most of my working life I have walked to work and my current commute is 4.5 miles on 25-35 mph streets. I wear suits occasionally and for the commute I have, it's hardly worth unlocking the bike and getting geared up and/or changing just to putt between stoplights at ~30mph. The cage works well for that. I put about 2,000 miles per year on my primary car and about 3,500 per year on my bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Buells are the new sportsters

I'm not trying to deny that Buell's do have a unique appeal, but 150 hp doesn't mean you have to lose torque. A Duc 999 will pump out close to 140 hp and 75 ft.lbs compared to the XB12 motors 90 hp and 73 ft.lbs. Certainly the Duc is not as strong down low, but while I don't like to have to rev to 12,000 rpms to get performance, I also don't like sticking at 2,000 rpm and running out of steam at 6. The Duc puts plenty of torque to the ground at reasonable rpm levels.

I'm glad Buell's are around. They are unique and have some appeal. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea for them to have more than one engine choice. BMW and even more so Ducati have shown the way. A brand can have a new, modern engine and still keep updating its traditional mill. As I said before, HD themselves have done this for the cruiser range, so why not for Buell?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmmm, square four. As I unerstand it, the biggest problem with the square four design was heat to the rear cylinders. With modern liquid cooling, it would seem this could be overcome. If Egli could race a decades old square four design, then surely a modern square four designed from scratch would seem to have some viability. Somebody needs to do it, just because. After that, I want to see a V-three with one big jug and two smaller jugs; again, just because. Triumph already ressurected an old design with the Sunbeam-esque Rocket Three (which was mysterioulsy missing from the godzilla cruiser shootout). I'd love to see more unique designs. How about a resurrection of the old Indian 4 while we're at it...

241 - 254 of 254 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.