Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first bike, 1973 Honda CB750 Custom Bobber. Haven't owned it just a couple weeks and one day after riding I noticed it was leaking oil. Not a normal small leak, a substantial oil leak. After investigating I noticed was basically looks like a whole in part of the engine or gearbox cover. To be clear the bike will start up and get up and down the road but loses a lot of oil in the process. I know enough about motorcycles and engines to be dangerous but still very ignorant. Any mechanics here or anyone more mechanically inclined than I am that can tell me how screwed I am based of the pictures attached? What exactly are my options here? Appreciate any help you can offer.
Electrical wiring Wire Audio equipment Cable Wood

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
that can tell me how screwed I am based of the pictures attached? What exactly are my options here? Appreciate any help you can offer.
Did you really NOT notice that before you bought it ?
REALLY ????

I think you need to look for a local shop that does custom bikes and ask them for advice.
My personal opinion......you screwed up big time and have a "parts bike".
Unless you get lucky and can find the parts you need in a salvage yard somewhere.
The fix likely will require an (almost) complete engine teardown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you really NOT notice that before you bought it ?
REALLY ????

I think you need to look for a local shop that does custom bikes and ask them for advice.
My personal opinion......you screwed up big time and have a "parts bike".
Unless you get lucky and can find the parts you need in a salvage yard somewhere.
The fix likely will require an (almost) complete engine teardown.
I did LOOK OVER and RIDE the bike before I bought it. And this would've been easily noticeable based off the amount of oil leaking after riding. It didn't leak a thing after myself and father both test rode the bike. This clearly happened after the fact. I do plan on talking with the guy that supposedly built the bike but in the meantime I'm here to get others opinions.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
I did LOOK OVER and RIDE the bike before I bought it. And this would've been easily noticeable based off the amount of oil leaking after riding. It didn't leak a thing after myself and father both test rode the bike. This clearly happened after the fact. I do plan on talking with the guy that supposedly built the bike but in the meantime I'm here to get others opinions.
Well what it LOOKS like is that the chain in the picture BROKE at some point in time and whacked a big hole in the case.
Given what you have said, the owner then fixed the original problem and GLUED something over the gaping hole to cover it up.
I think you have been royally SCREWED.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts