Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The smart thing to do would be to stay away, not just show up anyway. Let 'em feel the pinch of 100,000 less doctors dentists and lawyers throwing money around trying to be cool. The guys that started the whole thing in '47 are mostly dead now anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
well, you have to put up with some things you don't like to make money. My advice is to enjoy the relative peace and quiet for the other 360 days of the year, if the rally really bothers you that much, go on vacation! perhaps with the tourist dollars flooding in you could afford it! as for the police bill, if every biker was charged a $2.50 cover or ticket as they entered town it would more than cover the cost. the last rally I went to, in va beach virginia cost 20$ to get into, and it was not nearly as large.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Seems that the city ought to charge $5.00 a head (police and clean-up) and problem solved. Issue wrist bands like the local bars do. Police can collect the fee and issue bands and the city can solve the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the point was that there wasn't enough extra "tourist revenue" to justify the expense. City stafff tends to be pretty smart when they analyse these things. A quick estimate of the city's sales tax take: To make up $250,000 they have to sell more than $16.5 million in taxable goods (most of the sales tax goes to the state - never to return). That's $165 per person average. Probably harder to do than one might think.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would like to formally lodge a formal protest against the rampant "doctorism" that occurs on this website. The endless insulting, snickering, and disparaging comments against motorcyclists who happen to be doctors is degrading and humiliating and no different than sexism, racism and anti-religious remarks. There are many doctors who were bikers well before they went to medical school and lumping them into the other group of egomaniacal, materialistic, superficial, and tasteless physicians who later became poseurs is flatly unfair. I have no complaints regarding insults tossed at lawyers and accountants, but any other professional who can prove in writing that they had their motorcycle endorsement before their professional education should be immune from such blather. Henceforth, I think if you are going to make derogatory remarks about professionals or rich people who ride bikes, you should add in parentheses - ERPWRBBR - (Except Rich People Who Rode Before Becoming Rich). Thank you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would like to formally lodge a formal protest against the rampant use of computers by individuals who are so f***ing thin-skinned that they choose to take offense when anyone disparages the group they happen to be a part of. Here's a suggestion - if you don't like it, don't read it. Didn't med school teach you to develop a sense of what's important and what isn't?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Full circle, huh? WHen I started riding(1962) you couldnt (didnt) ride a bike into Hollister. They hadnt forgotten. Was a little easier to cut communications then, I guess. Maybe they really expect an earthquake???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Some sales tax math by ThomD

"To make up $250,000 they have to sell more than $16.5 million in taxable goods (most of the sales tax goes to the state - never to return). That's $165 per person average. Probably harder to do than one might think" ThomD

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The tax revenue isn't solely related to a one time sales tax benefit. You should also factor in hotel taxes of which the lions share is retained by the city, as well as the additional sales tax revenue generated by the cascade effect when the city merchants spend the profits made from the rally. VWW

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.