Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been wondering...

I've been wondering when Kawasaki was going to do something like this for the Ninja 250 with a complete update.

Probally won't fly here, to high a price and too low on power.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Maybe..

Honda will put the 583cc V-2 from the Shadow VLX in an entry level sporty bike. Hydraulic valves and 30hp would be great and they sound decent too.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Maybe when pigs fly

...and then they'll bring back the Transalp....

·
Registered
3 Posts
$3500 is ridiculously cheap and it will def sell up here. Compared to the zzr250 (we dont get the ex250 which is a good thing cause its ugly) you are getting a great deal because you get all the gear too. When I bought my zzr it was $6000 without any gear :(. For no apparent reason vehicles in the states are a heck of alot cheaper after you do the exchange rate, so if they sold it in the states it would probably be $2500.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I was in High School bikes like the Ninja 250 (which was new then) had respect for their light weight and high-revving performance despite the low displacement. We were in high school-- we didn't need to go long distances, generally, and were willing to put up with the physical discomforts of smaller bikes and naked bikes. I had a friend with an older 400-Four which would do the ton when pressed, and that was fast-*****-enough for us, given that the national speed limit was half its top speed, and all the roads we cruised on were 35-45mph tops anyway.

If you're truly trying to approach a younger audience, then I would say that indeed less is more. A 600 is way overkill.

But this 125 might be a bit too little. We'll see.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: They have sold this in the UK for a while...

That would be nice, but something like this is desperately needed here in the USA. When I was starting-out circa ~'82 on my first "real" motorcycle (a '71 CL100), all I had to choose from in the "beginner category" were dirtbikes and older, used motos (which is what I chose).

I would have killed you for this bike, back then. (or at least caused serious injury, or maybe gotten my ass kicked trying......... ;^D )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, I remember those days. Some of my buds had brand new 1986 CB125's and I got a '73 CB 350F. I had the quickest thing at school (yes, it was a small school in the '80's) for months. One guy had a Suzuki 850 3 cyinder, and we were matched up to about 80. Then he would pull away When the 350 motor gave out, my dad and I put swapped in a 400F motor with (relatively) big-bore(439cc or close to that) racing pistons in. It seemed much more powerful than before, but first 250 Ninja I ran with matched me to 100 (we were both pegged at about 105-110). and then he left me like I was in reverse when the first corner came up. I hit the brakes hard to set up the chassis for a corner, I think he pegged the throttle instead. He left me like I was in reverse after that first corner.

The 250 Ninja was wild looking - I found a pic here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/submittedphotos/1987KawasakiZX250RNinja-MartinO.jpg

I really liked that little Ninja, so much that 4 years later when I had a Ninja 750 as my main transportation I bought a 1986 250 Ninja. I fitted some slip-on's for a little bark (ok, it was still a small bark!), and I rode it hard everywhere.

My 750 (a good 50-75 lbs heavier than today's 600's), needed careful input around tight corners, the 250 just went. It really felt more like the road was straightening out under me rather than me carving through it.

It was a blast in town, too. I could wring it out through 2 or 3 gears without making myself a ticket magnet. The 750 needed much larger spaces.

I can imagine what a blast a modern 250 sportbike could be. Imagine 20,000 rpm and tiny little pistons SCREAMING... yet soft enough that a newbie wouldn't get scared until 15,000 rpm.

Use the same marketing campaign they have for the CBR125 in Canada, combine it with a 250 screamer and I think there'd be a lot of new riders.

Maybe a Korean or Chinese maker will step up to the plate??

·
Registered
956 Posts
What'll the dealer make on 'em? If there isn't enough margin it's not gonna happen. Look at what most dealers try to sell now. Their not interested in developing a base, their looking to meet this quarter.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good God, don't I know it. Luckily for her she just got pregnant, otherwise she'd have to go use that brand new law degree we have tons of debt from. It's never going to happen now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Killed?

Me, too. Instead, I put off moving into streetbikes for almost twenty years.

I remember drooling over the specs of the Kawi GPz305... even though I really wanted a CB900F, just like everyone else ;-)

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Ditto. Wasn't the Ascot a 500? In the early 80's Honda had it down (CR480, Ascot, XL600, etc).

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Me too. Never wnt over that big in THE US of A.

·
Registered
312 Posts
hero honda

it looks better than a hero honda and those things can carry up to families of four. i expect for around town it would be perfect. 125 sounds about right to me. stay off the freeway, give it some real pedals for when you don't have gas money and letter rip. or putt.

I wonder if someday soon we wil all try to live within a few miles of work and could use exactly this to get around. does it come in diesel?

·
Registered
306 Posts
They shouldn't stop at offering gear. Start a one-make race series for it. The aftermarket will provide the rest and voila! a trend begins. This bike is small enough that you could organize races at any go-kart track.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts