Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks pretty nice but until they make it California green sticker friendly and put a kickstand on it I'll keep my XR. I spoke to a buddy of mine the other day who works in a dealership. He said they haven't sold a single Yamaha WR250F. Seems that most people don't race and if you can't ride it year 'round, they (me) would rather buy something else...no matter how great the magazines say it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Boyz, break out the check book. If this bike is anything near what Rhino raced at the Four Stroke Worlds. Their ain't nothing even close. I was fortunate enough to get with inches of it all day. It sounds like no other 4 stroke out there. KTM 520's not even, YZ 426's not even the trickest baddest of the bunch was even close. It flat ran away from everyone. Looked like a 250 racing in the 80cc class. No JOKE. I realize the true test will come mother's day at Glen Helen, and Unfortunately none of the really super fast BOYZ will be on one, I have a feeling it'll still make a great showing. It's definately the bike of the future and will raise the stakes. Yamaha started something and may still be Top Dog now, but once these hit the sales floor, Yamaha is going to have to Go BIG TIME. Kawasaki can't just wedge a 4 stroke into 10 year old KX Frame, and DRZ's, well they weren't race bike before,,,now they are XR class bikes. KTM, last I checked, $1200-1700 more for theirs than a Fast YZ 426. Not enough bang for the buck there. Wonder why you see 10 YZ 426's to each KTM????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Better check your stats, the biggest part of the ATV market is not High Performance ATV's, It's them slow going 4 wheel drive, can pull up tree stumps, camo'ed out dear stalkers. Can you say farm equip?????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, can you say, "BIG BUCKS..." KTM 520 SX is what $7000-$7600. And at Glen Helen anyway, everyone of them got out run by YZ426's. Heck I think a Cannondale even beat em...Hey I love KTM's too, and for a while they set the standard, But unless you seen this Honda run...I did, at least the Pre-Pro version,,,and for a fragile unfinished bike, It was BAD...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thats great, too bad the two stroke is going to be dead in a few years tho. I like four strokes and two strokes, but four stroke mx bikes just arent the same. 426s sound like Harley motors cut in half.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Side effect

All this four stroke stuff is good and great and super and all that, but you sure have to pay for it. A YZ250F costs almost as much as a YZ250. All it really seems to do is drive up the price of dirt bikes. Six or seven years from now, after all MX bikes are 4-stroke, and the cheapest 125 is $7500, somebody will come out with a $6000 2-stroke that makes 80HP out of the box, and back to 2-strokes we'll go.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm sure it's the bees knees etcetera, but I would be much more interested if they put the engine in a 250-pound street-legal chassis similar to the Borile 500, with an Evel Knievel red-white-and-blue paint job.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Item 1: Valve material. Ti is better at high temps than steel. hence, its use in exhaust valves is a natural. Price is probably what kept it out. For the intake side, Ti allows them to open the (larger) intake valves faster and farther. This has a substantial impact on power. Opening the exhaust valves faster and farther results in littel new power and a lot more noise, since it makes the pressure pulse sharper.

Item 2: Trickness. This thing is full of trick little bits. Go to the hondamotorcycle.com site and check it out under Models/Engineering. Very impressive. Typical Honda details.

Item 3: Street legalness. The DOT and PEA stand in the way. Because of those bozos, the DRZ-S is severely hampered, compared to the DRZ-E. Best off going to Baja Designs and doing it yourself.

Item 4: Green stickers. The solution is easy: get rid of those damned environmental wackos you people in California keep voting ofr. Vote liberal and this is what you get. Thank God my job made me come to Texas seven years ago, now I see the light.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Different purpose,,,,the XR is a great woods/desert/gncc etc tool....this bike is for MX pure and simple.I dont expect many XR riders to want it but many 2 stroke 250 MXers are looking more and more at the YZ426 and the KTM...this should put Honda in the hunt.A lot depends on how it does in competition...particularly how it stacks up against the Yammy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll take one of those strokers in street legal version mode with a sidestand please - please make the turn signals look cool too . .. . . and yes . ..a nice toolkit with a swiss army knife and a camping pack with mini cooking stove and a tentholder. I want to get away from these SUV-driving environmentalist starbucks drinkers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are so right my brother! I realize that you can't condem all ATV riders because of that behaviour, but the overwhelming majority of them act recklessly, irresponsible and in the Carolinas, they get all of the good riding areas closed. These are riding areas that we dirt bike riders have ridden for decades. We have never had trouble with the land owners, state or anyone else. Put a dozen gun totting drunks on ATV's doing doughnuts in someones garden and guess what....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.