Motorcycle Forums banner

Honda RC211V V-5 Pictures

34K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  tal4321 
#1 ·
Hmmm

By increasing the brightness, you can see what looks like a regular sized radiator in the front to me. The thing under the seat "looks" to be small from the pic that you can see it in. I'd venture to say some sort of telemetry equipment just for testing, that or some ECU for the crazy engine. It doesn't look like there are any intakes for a second radiator, and it also looks quite void under the tail of the bike.

The swingarm is substantially larger on one side, thought that was odd, but I haven't noticed what the current Honda GP bike's swingarm looks like in particular.

Rob

#5 ·
Looks like they are running a dry clutch.

I can't imagine that hunk of metal under the seat is a raditor. It doesn't look like it has any cooling fins and it's in a location that won't get much ventaliation.

I think rob is right on. Probably telemetry or computer for the engine.

#6 ·
Buddies of mine (in-da-press) say that the engine was reported to be 825 cc because honda believed it gave the right amount of power/size/weight. 230 HP from 825 cc? That's ridiculous, and at 320 lbs. That is crazy. That fairing looks wicked too but not really aerodynamic when you include the rider.

#8 ·
Hate to say this, but on the www.2wf.com web site, one of the photo's shows the "box" in question, and it appears to be an engine management system, or ECM (Engine Control Module). My belief on this is due to the fact that there seems to be a limited number(or no) sensors mounted on the suspension. These sensors would normally include linear potentiometers for measuring suspension extension rate and strok length, wheel speeds, etc. I don't see any of this on the RC211V.

Also, if you look at Honda GP bikes, typically their in-house telemetry control module is typically an anodized or zinc chromate plated box mounted on either frame rail, and has either 2 or 3 cannon plugs running to it. On this bike, that would equate in position to roughly the left or right side rear edge of the middle fairing sections.

Oh well, so much from the ramblings from a bored electrical engineer who still hopes to see the VR1000 win a race this year!

Can't wait until next year when I have a reason to watch GP's again. Also, I recomend checking out the Drysdale V-8 web site. They have a sound clip of the 1957 Moto Guzzi V-8 500cc 4 stroke bike with the 90 degree or "staggered" crank. It will send chills up and down your spine!

#14 ·
God! I love listening to race motors!

My favorites include: Columbo or Lampredi designed Ferrari V-12s, all Ferrari Flat 12s, Honda inline five and inline six motorcycles, the Guzzi V-8, well tuned V-Maxes with pipes, 180 degree Honda V-Fours with pipes, multi cylinder GP 2-strokes, the BMW Mclaren F-1 roadcar, Four Rotor Mazdas, Audi Sport inline 5s, Naturally aspirated air-cooled Porsche flat sixes and Honda's late 80s V-10 F-1 motors.

#18 ·
Re: Hmmm

The swingarm appears smaller on the left hand side because of the chain passing through it. The exterior dimensions are usually the same. The solid side is strong due to being solid, so it can be light, but the other side requires extra bracing due to the hole causing stress concentrations.

#19 ·
I heard this too, but at a displacement of approx 940cc. Honda has years of data for 750cc x 4 cylinders, so if you add a fifth of the same displacement, you get 937.5cc. Basically it's a RC45 motor with an extra cylinder. They spent thousands of man hours on bore/stroke for the 750cc motor, so they can use this data rather than starting over with minorly larger cylinder bores/strokes.

#22 ·
That would be true if all five cylinders are all the same size, but that hasn't been disclosed yet. The way I have been hearing it, it makes power like a twin (front three firing at once, rear two at another interval), but with the amount of cylinders on the front, the engine would be out of balance so either there is a balancer for this or the two rear cylinders are larger each than the front three, hence the size may be 825 but I ain't no engine engineer. The reason they say it makes power like a twin is because it sounds like one, so the power pulses are spread further out than yamaha's screaming engine I heard in the video.

#23 ·
There's something I don't quite understand. This is a prototype bike. It is not (exactly) being exhibited publicly; rather, it is undergoing testing. Complex as it is, even moto-giant Honda faces a monumental task in shaking out the bugs, making the pieces work together, and getting the bike to perform at a competitive level.

So why is it already covered in sponsorship logos?

#24 ·
Is it just me, my imagination, or residual effects of drugs from the 70's. Does anyone else notice that the bottom of the fairing is HUGE ? Looks like piping on the leftside snaking it's way through there but from the size of it, they could fit a turbine in there. Lots of room for 5 pipes maybe ? The subframe is also larger than normal in the first pic but I can't see any radiators in there. It just looks larger and shorter. Probably just to support the tail section. Man, I can't wait till next year's GP's !!!

#26 ·
I second this opinion as to what the silver box thingy is (an ECM housing, that is). There's a photo on motorcyclenews.com that clearly shows no finning or grill that would indicate it was some kind of radiator. Just a solid metal box. There doesn't appear to be much else inside the tail aside from the subframe.

PS- bravo to all posts thus far for being on topic and well thought out. very refreshing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.