Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always gets me how these bikes are awarded these honors before the consumer even has a chance to obtain and test one himself. I think the bikes should be made available for the consumer to decide before some marketing sales type try to influence the buyer into possibly purchasing something he or she may not want.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
>>"before some marketing sales type try to influence the buyer into possibly purchasing something he or she may not want"<<

Ummmm... what are "Marketing Sales" types supposed to be doing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is what they are supposed to do, but I think there was another point being made. The problem was when the ONLY input the consumer gets comes from the "marketing types", you can rest assured you know little about a bike. It makes sense for the manufaturer to sell a few of these things before someone objective gets their hands on them and lets the public know a different (less-than-perfect) perspective.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hmmm.... lets see....

"Honda's GL1800 Gold Wing received Rider magazine's 2001 Motorcycle of the Year Award. Mark Tuttle, Senior Editor at Rider, noted that the new Gold Wing redefined motorcycle touring by providing the performance of a sport touring motorcycle with the comfort expected of a luxury tourer."

I don't think so. Will it hang with the mid-eighties design of the (still produced) Kawasaki Concours, let alone any NEWER sport-tourers? Heck no. Lets call apples, apples and oranges, oranges, shall we?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good point, CBR! Sport touring... those guys must be smokin something. My 89 Mazda pick-up is thus the most amazing sport tourer as it can 'tour' to the twisties hauling my GSXR.

(to avoid flameage... I never haul my bike - I ride the thing there eventhough by back bum and shoulders revolt... unless it's got a broken 2nd gear.. hypothetically)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't checked the numbers, and I haven't taken the 1800 for a test ride, but I would've expected these two bikes to be fairly close- considering the reviews the new Leadwing has been getting. If you wanted to put the GL to shame, shouldn't you have compared it to an ST1100 or R1100RT, instead of a bike whose most redeeming quality is that it's affordable?

·
Registered
367 Posts
C'mon... you just made my point for me. It won't hang with the Concours in acceleration, top end, braking and cornering... And the Concours is OLD. Newer sport tourers are even better. Why embarass it by trying to compare it? It has a totally different function in life, which is touring, without the "sport" modifier.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check the numbers: The Leadwing weighs 200 Lbs. MORE than the Concours, makes 19 more Hp, has about twice the frontal area, a much higher drag coefficient, AND less ground clearance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd drop the "sport" from the concours

as I consider that a plain touring bike, the riding position is almost bolt upright, this is not a sport anything, but just a good modern touring bike in my opinion (and a good one I think). The GL on the other hand, needs the word "luxury" added. It is not a touring bike, it's a luxury touring bike. Or perhaps the word "geriatric". I think the concours is called a sport tourer because it doesn't look big and traditional enough. The old guys thinks it looks like one of those new fangled dad burned whatevers, which seems to be what they're saying about the new GL, so maybe that's your explanation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Power is more than just Ponies

With torque numbers that imbarass a modern small sedan motor.

How does the old explanation go...

"Horsepower sells vehicles, Torque wins races.."

Do not underestimate the new wing. The 1500 was a power house on it's own. Move the rev limiter up 500 rpm and re-jet the two barrel carb and this behemouth goes from being a 1/2 ton Luxury tourer to a 2nd gear-front wheel in the air- automatic seat cussion to rectum installer.

I am not saying it is a full fledge sport tourer (CBRs of 1000+ c.c's) or a bus (Suzuki Cavalcade etc) but I am sure that it will run with the Kawasaki Concours I rode, and then some.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some "unofficial" numbers...

...quarter mile (best of five runs) 12.60 @ 122.402

top speed (indicated) 142-144 mph @ 6,200 rpm (approx...tach was a little hard to read, apparently hit rev limiter). Approx two mile flat straight, brushed concrete... Paced by '99 CBR100XX at approx same (indicated) speed (140-145 mph).

[Very surprised Blackbird pilot...]

Unaltered GL1800, non-abs, no CB/CD, empty bags/trunk, rider weight approx 165#. tires @ 40/42 psi for speed run.

Weather; clear, cool (63*F), humidity 40%, winds negligible.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: I

Torque wins races... Which accounts for all the races Harley's been winning, right? Oh wait a minute. They don't win races. Also... I seem to recall that the Concours does the 1/4 mile in low 12's, not mid to high 12's, and it STILL mid-eighties design, and I STILL maintain that the LeadWing COULD NOT compete with more modern sport-tourers, as I said in my first post. As I said, it wouldn't keep up with a Concours, let alone any of the newer/faster/better handling/braking sport tourers. I never said that it wasn't a good motorcycle, just that saying it doesn't have sport-touring performance, as that silly-assed award said. That's all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.