Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can someone explain to me whats up with all the scooters and quasi scooters, automatic transmisisons ? . Theres enough idiots who can't ride on the road, a 700cc scooter and a 45 yo mommy on it, mean death to us all

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Yet another entry in the Cruiser-Scooter category. How many of these things must exist before we say, "Enough"? Who thinks up this stuff? I'm holding out for an El Camino bike with a hot tub. Maybe someone will finally get that one right.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
A CVT is just a torque converter that uses a steel woven belt.

Remember the Salsbury Scooter? Yes, that's how it works. Two variable ratio "sprockets".

The only problem with torque converters is that when the rpm drops, the belt kinda disengages and you coast along until the r's rise again. Free wheeling I think it's called.

Torque converts are about as reliable as a claw hammer. Maybe they fixed the free-wheeling deal, but that's the way it works on my Go-Devil foldable mini-bike (by Fuji Industries).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Got news for you.I feel we ain't seen nothing yet!Blinged out morpuses,gilera,s rumored 850 cc auto bike.envi's hydrogen bomb bike,fly by wire bikes.EN-04S, ,the griffon,the g strider,rumored automatic goldwings.The scooter, just like motorcycles in their infancy have grown up...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I suppose an automatic would be just the ticket for stop and go inner city traffic.

But for folks who just can't deal with shifting and riding at the same time, perhaps they should consider different transport. This'll also save'm money on the leather pirate costume and arm chaps.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
In Seattle if you're riding a scooter you have to wear an army trench coat, tight black jeans and Doc Marten's and have Bob Dylan hair sticking out form under the oldest white 3/4 helmet you can find.

Extra points for a ratty Vespa and Israli army shoulder bag

·
Registered
84 Posts
What I would pay big $$ for . . .

. . . . Is a bike with a CVT that allowed the rider to control the gearing ratio, rather than a computer. That would be the equivalent of a manual shifter, but with no clutch and an infinite number of gears. That would be cool. Imagine that you could change your gearing ration just by doing something as intuitive as twisting your wrist, instead of the throttle-clutch-throttle manipulation that is required now.

I like manual transmisions because of the control, not because of the mechanism.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: What I would pay big $$ for . . .

I ride an old XS-650, a Stella 2T geared scooter, and have ridden my friends Burgman 650 numerous times. I like 'em all. Different tools, that's all. My ratty old XS is great for toolin' around, the Stella is a hooligan scoot cuz it's kitted to the max, and the Burg is like a slice of heaven; to me at least. Foot shift, twist shift, or twist and go, makes no difference to me as long as I'm 2 wheelin'.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.