Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmm. The FJR is lighter, more powerful, more comfortable, doesn't have those **** linked brakes, and costs at least $1500 less. Is there any area in which the ST1300 beats the FJR? Hmm, maybe in over-100 mph cruising, for which we here in the US have so many opportunities.

I think Honda's got a little tuning-fork-shaped problem here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah, but will you be able to buy one? Call me silly, but I was a little put off by the suggestion that I should write a non-refundable check for $500 for a bike that I've never seen and had never been reviewed in the US.

This doesn't show a strong commitment on the part of Yamaha. Can you say, "Orphan?"

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent, Excellent

Great writing Lord Burns. Good mix of techincal details and rider impressions. Love the parts about the engineer (next year). The backseat perspective was also a welcome addition. For me this bike is about 20 years away for me. I would probably look at the new Kawa tourer first, then the Yamaha and last the ST. I have a friend in the market for something less than a Goldwing, I told him to look at your site. Thanks again for an entertaining read, Sir.

·
Registered
93 Posts
More comfortable? Where'd ya get that? The Honda has a larger fairing and greater wind protection, to go with a quieter electric shield, adjustable seat ergos and V4 engine smoothness.

Areas where the Honda beats the Yamaha:

1-Build quality

2-Luggage capacity (35 litres per bag vs 30 on the Yamaha)

3-ABS option

4-On the fly adjustable headlight

5-A shock that won't have the headlight pointing at the sky when loaded two up, due to the Yam's too soft shock.

6-A truly adjustable preload for the shock, vs the Yam's two set settings.

7-Much better electric windshield

8-Three year unlimited mileage warranty, including Roadside Assistance for three years, vs the Yam's one year warranty which doesn't include Roadside Assistance.

9-Unique V4, vs yet another I4

10-Adjustable seat height

11-7.7 gallon gas tank vs Yam's 6.6

12-Adjustable instrument back lighting

13-Ambient air temp display

14-Easier valve adjustments (though more frequent)

15-Stereo option

16-Honda parts availability, vs Yamaha's

17-Availability this year, vs Yamaha's lack of availability for anyone who doesn't already have their deposit down.

18-Yamaha's next batch of FJR's (the ones beyond the presold first delivries) will NOT include the hard bags as standard.

That's just a few areas where the Honda reigns supreme over the Yamaha, off the top of my head...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Being both a fan of Honda and V-4s -- I ride a '99 VFR -- I wanted to see Honda kick butt with the new ST1300, but on the basis of the MO review it seemed like they've come up short, just as they did on the new VFR. Way heavier than the FJR, less power, much more expensive.... At the ripe old age of 39, I'd definitely put my money on the Yami, which seems to cut a perfect compromise between comfort, tourability and performance. Maybe I'd give the Honda a look when I turned 50 ;-)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm on my way to the Hoot today. I hope to try the FJR, ZZR and the ST. I own an ST 1100 now and am looking for a replacement. I am a Honda man as a whole, but Kawi and Yam seem to be more in the price range and sporty feel I was looking for.

I think the back seat perspective was great. I have bikes for me, but a bike like this is my 2 up bike. Finding how it works for her arse means alot.

The part about her reaching around made me LOL. Burns you are a jewel. I'd love to spend some time burning some of that illegal contraband from the helmet. If you are in the Chatt tn area. Lets go ride GA 60 stay at TWO and twist one up.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Windshield *****ing

What's the big deal with the lousy windshield? 90% of the factory offerings on sport tourers suck anyway, and you wind up replacing the damn things with a decent A/M one. While Minime denies this new ST is capable of dethroning the 1150GS as his "Beloved Best Bike of All Time", BMW's factory screen on the 1150GS's is THE absolute worst excuse of a windshield on any bike I've owned to date. Kawi's 'ol Concours windshield was one of the first items to get replaced, as are many (if not most) ST1100 enthusiast's screens. Big deal...ya' scraps the factory screen, get the best aftermarket one mounted on there (e.g. Rifle, AeroFlow, Givi, Parabellum, etc. etc.) and get on with the ride. If the windshield's the main complaint, it's not a problem. That's like *****ing about factory tires as a reason not to buy a bike. Just change the damn thing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe it's my age (closer to 60 than I wish) or lack of European riding experience but I don't quite get this category of mortorcycle. Speed? Lot's of stuff faster. Weight? 700 lbs vs. a Wing around 800. VFR at 600 isn't TOO bad. Comfort? The Wing will surely be more comfortable. Touring? Wing again. Touring at 110 mph? Where in the hell can you do that? You can't realistically go that fast for long periods of time anyway. If you have ever spent a fairly long period of time going 100 mph you know how tired that makes you no matter how great the ergonomics.

If I want to go fast for a couple of hours, would rather have an Interceptor or similar ride. In any case, I bet the Wing would be more comfortable long distance at high speed.

I rode the BMW's too (1150 and k1200) so I have some feel for this category bike. The only thing I like about these bikes is how they look. Maybe that's the whole thing? Image?? Maybe it IS my age.

Can't be function.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lisa's impression was a great addition to the article. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

Overall, a good read with solid critical analysis. However, if speed and sport handling were my primary considerations, this bike would not be a contender. Fortunately, a smooth handling powerful bike with over 100 bhp, the promise of great mechanical prowess ala the ST1100 and modern good looks are also prime considerations for a new commuter/two-up sport tourer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Didn't say this V4 was new (though it is), I said it was unique.

And it is.

Oh yeah, I forgot a couple other ways in which the ST beats the Yam....

19-Built in covered crash bars.

20-Pop off mirrors for tipovers, which also include integrated turnsignals.

21-Two fairing storage pockets, one of which is lockable.

22-Built in swing out center stand grab handle.

There's a good reason the ST weighs more than the Yammie. It's more of a complete bike, with many more touring features.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe its’ just me, but I find Honda’s latest offerings somewhat lacking. Sure, they sport all kinds of new technology, but have taken the appearance of mass-produced PLASTIC consumer products devoid of passion. I love machines and make a personal connection with all that I own, 9 including 5 Hondas. I simply can’t connect with Honda’s latest and greatest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh yeah,

Let's add Honda's recurring problems with fuel injection (see the Great Lump GL18), the 700+ lb. pork and Honda's reluctance to honor warranty problems. Build quality? If this porker is an indication of my late (but not missed) 2000 GL15, that's a joke. Buy and ride what you like, but if you're looking at sport-touring, I went with the FJR. Stereo option and ambiant temperature, adjustable backlighting?I'm sure the ST will be a fine machine but you may as well buy a Gold Thing, you're 3/4 there already.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.