Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I *think* its natural gas that most hydrogen is extracted from. The numbers I have seen show slightly better energy efficiency in natural gas-> H2->fuel cell vs gasoline, and slightly worse if the H2 is burned ( ala BMW).

Fuel cells are very efficient while still at an immature stage in development. True the storage is unsatisfactory yet, and also there is a third way: metallic hydrides. Also, fuel cells still have to use platinum as a catalyst.

That said, there is zero air pollution at the vehicle. There is CO2 at the source, but there seems to be some hope it can be 'sequestered'. For us in So Cal that is a very good thing. There are solar carports ( Honda of course has one ) which manufacture electricity or H2 and shade your car. My daughter did a science project on Chlamydomonus, bacteria that produces hydrogen. Soylent Greeen anyone? Lastly, there is likely going to be a flood of (mostly) tiny fuels cells that run on alcohol, to replace batteries, unless batteries suddenly get a lot better. So it's possible that there might be an alcohol-fueled electric scooter, but then its still a greenhouse gas problem.

IMO we are talking about scooters and cars and segway-like things, not performance bikes. Simply cleaning up the SUVs would make a much bigger difference.

thanks for listening

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.