Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda 2002 VFR800 and the inner tab on the hard luggage that the string attaches to (the string that stops in from flopping around when open) broke off. The dealer I went to tried to fix it with apoxy, but I guess I'm just screwed. The luggage goes for $1000 dollars. How bout better qualitiy Honda? Or should I blame Givi?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've had Honda warranty things from faded paint to a scratched instrument panel without question. Once they even replaced an entire swingarm because of a broken chain guard boss. But I also have a good relationship with my local Honda dealer which I think is important. If you are sure that the dealer won't resolve your problem and don't care about burning a bridge I suggest that you contact American Honda and find out who the service rep is in your area. A call to them might do the trick. You are in a really grey area since you don't have the part but that person may decide to take care of you anyway. Are you a HRCA member? If so call them and they will take care of you.

Best of luck

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You're wrong. Honda motorcycles are perfect. There is nothing wrong with your bag system. You must have used it incorrectly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If "customers" were always honest, your claim would most likely be repaired without hesitation. Truth be told, however, many "buyers are liers". As a business owner, I have seen ever sham tried on me. Unfortunate at best.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Actually, I did contact the dealer first and they said there was nothing they could do. I asked to talk to somebody at Honda corporate. They gave me the customer service number in California. The customer service guy did an inspection on 2 bikes/bags they had there. They said that one was even crashed at a press release and the bags stayed on, even though broken up and scratched. "I almost tipped the bike over I was yanking so hard on it". What an image! When I brought up the quality issue they basically said "No proof, no fault". Supposedly the manager is going to contact me tomorrow. After that, it's back to the dealer for another try.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Between Le Sueur and Kasota (112). Bought it out of **** Rapids. They were the only ones an ABS model in stock, and I didn't want to wait to order. I live in Mankato now, but I expect to be moving to the northern suburbs soon, so dealer location was also a consideration (not that it helps me now). Where you from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just for the record I have a 2003 VFR with bags I recently took on a 600 mile trip. Both bags were loaded full and I had no problems or issues. Everything worked great. Unfortunately, I can't see a dealer helping you out with this issue. If you could've somehow recovered the bag to show the defect is one thing. Otherwise the dealer has no idea what really happened. People try to scam retailers all the time for free stuff, which hurts honest people in situations like this.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Absolutely correct seruzawa-san the superior design of Honda products is without question. This gajin obviously damaged a quality Honda accessory through his own incompetance and now has found the temerity to attempt to apportion blame to Honda. Sepuku is his only option.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your request for Honda to bail you out of this situation ( even though there is no proof of Honda's liability ) is just another example of people wanting to blame someone else for their problems.

Did you ever remove the bags from the bike and reinstall them yourself ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
You are probably SOL. If your mirror or turn signal fell off, Honda would probably take care of you. But something as expensive as a new bag.....they probably feel they have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, guys would crash and say "Hey, my pipe fell off!" or "My tank fell off".

·
Registered
323 Posts
Huh? It could be his fault. It could be there is an actual mfg. problem which the area tech rep is aware of. At 450 ea. yeah I would show the problem to Honda and at least give them the oportunity to pony up if they have a known problem. They may say tuff luck. However if there is a problem and people are not reporting it Honda will not know it's a problem unless they read minds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let's say Honda does find this is a problem at a later date, do you really think, they're going to go back to this guy, and said here's your money back. We found a design defect about

6 months after you bought it to out atten.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar incident with the right side bag falling off my R11GS when the mounting tab broke.

The dealer claimed it was as a result of an accident and pointed out scratches on the left cylinder head. When asked, he refused to even look at the bike to explain how a left side parking lot tumble damaged a right side bag...

I asked to be referred to a higher authority (BMW), and he stated that the issue was between me and him, and that BMW would believe his word rather than mine.

This was one of a string of poor service experiences with various BMW dealers and BMW North America. I have now sold both BMW motorcycles. In fact, I just bought the wife an '03 VFR ABS, to add a bit of Red (actually silver) to my two Kawasakis....

Actually, the BMW thing did have a happy ending. In the last of an ongoing series of emails to get my dissatisfaction with service and reliability resolved, BMW Customer Service recommended that I switch to another brand.

I did exactly that, and haven't looked back since: our two BMWs were swopped for a Concours, a ZX12R and the VFR, as I have always had good service from Honda and Kawasaki. Next down will be the wife's 330xi cage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.