Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Japanese technology + Chinese management & Indonesian labor = 15 million step-thru Honda 50s. Ain't life grand?

Wonder if they'll be cutting any hands off for getting back late from lunch?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Honda's asian motorbikes...

...are really cool. I have a Wave 125 in Thailand, pink nonetheless. It's a four-speed auto-clutch, 17" wheeled kinda stepthrough scooter, but they call them motorbikes there. It's four-stroke and will do 70, 75 mph and gets about 70-90 mpg. It's just awesome for getting around town on.

Not to beat a political bend here, but if Americans would start commuting/erranding on them -- about 95% of Thais get around on such motorbikes, whole families ride them at once as they make child seats that sit in the (partial, it's kinda high) step-through area -- we'd probably not need middle east oil. What's our average combined fuel economy? Something like 19 mpg for all passenger cars/trucks/suvs? Most of which are driven alone... it's not good...

--Ashley

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Triumph Rocket III

It's interesting that Triumph came out with the Rocket III in 2005 and is getting ready to begin their second year of production of this bike, and MO has not tested one or even done a riding impression.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Honda's asian motorbikes...

Not only that but if everyone started commuting on Vino125s they'd be grinnin' too hard to experience any road rage. LA might become a really quiet town without all the gunfire.

·
Registered
489 Posts

"We're on the list", or so we've been told a couple dozen times. We can't make them give us bikes, honest answers or even influence them to act in a manner other than the least-professional manufacturer's representative in America.

Triumph stands as the only brand that's catastrophically failed while testing here, once putting staffer Greg McClure in the hospital with a broken hand.

Given all that, I think it speaks volumnes of MO's character that you've never known that, that they get fairly reveiwed, and are always invited to every relevant shootout. The last test they were in, despite losing, Triumph did garner one first-place vote...

We have a Rocket III on the shootout schedule for November. It'll be a major test. We'll see if they decide to come around...

Hope that ends your fascintation with this model and us never being able to test it. Feel free to complain directly to Triumph America if not ;-)

--Ashley

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Be like Dirt Bike magazine did when Husky wouldn't give 'em any more bikes to test: Go out and buy one.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re:Idiotic Troll?!?!?

I prefer "mentally challenged dwarf". Or "Dipstick" even. Thanx you MO moderators...

·
Registered
15 Posts

I'm equally outraged that MO hasn't tested one of those silly bikes powered by a helicopter turbine and costing $125,000! They've been around for years. Bad MO, bad MO!

·
Registered
489 Posts

I have the resources to buy any bike(s), but a Rocket III?. 'Cuddy, can you see me with one of those? What would I do with it? Loan it to Ebass, I guess. To each his own and I applaude people that love their bikes, but I wouldn't spend money on one of those. Now, the Scrambler is a different story. That's a cool bike, IMHO!

Instead, I could get an FZ1 and a KTM 300 two-stroke... or a VFR800 and another CRF450X to trick out in full MOtard trim.

Seriously, though, the above is just my preferences in what I'd spend my money on.

For MO, we are open to purchasing new testbikes, but would only do so for bikes/brands that don't depreciate less in the three or four months we'd own them than the individual bike's value to the story. It may be that the Rocket III falls into this category, I'm not sure how well they're holding their value. We'll look into it and keep you posted, and thanks for the suggestion.

--Ashley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.