Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You mean someone other than a Harley dealer is gouging the public? Perish the thought! And I thought Daytona was bad when they wanted to raise my $75 room to $300 for Bike Week.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It's no different than resort pricing. Off season rates are there to encourage people to visit under less than ideal situations. If you are a lodging owner at 100% occupancy you are pricing too low. Special event rates can go as high as someone is willing to pay. Supply and demand is a wonderful thing. However, it is never wonderful for both the buyer and the supplier of services at the same time.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Looks like it's SNAFU for that area when it comes to gouging. Unfortunately, previous articles pointed out by the RoadracingWorld.com website were deleted.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Every time I called for reservations for Daytona I was quoted 3 to 4 times higher rates than listed. Then I discovered a neat trick. I am more interested in the racing than the weaks events. I will call up hotels on thursday, fiind a hotel with rooms available for the weekend and get the regular rates. It seems that alot of the people that rent for the whole week check out early, opening up rooms for the race weekend.

Its worked every time.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There is a big difference in this situation. If I have a reservation for X$ for these days, and the hotel loses/erases/tries to gouge me, thats fraud. Its bait and switch. Its probably illeagal as well.

Some of these people made reservations over a year ago, and the hotel screwed up by not pricing to the limit at the time of the reservation, then its their loss, they are obligated to honor the reservation IMO.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yep, my boss (wife) gave me the OK to go to the race a few weeks ago. So I got on to Expedia and rapidly became aware that there were no rooms left. If I remember right, the closest I could get was in Santa Cruz and it was an outrageous price $400 for a "motel" that normally charges under $60. I decided to go next year and go to Freddy's school this year instead... Hey its the free market system...Same thing happens at the Super Bowl each year...

·
Registered
771 Posts
No one is begrudging the hotel for raising their rates. Its the not honoring the allready made reservations that people have to worry about. I'll bet that there will be more than one story of a person showing up at a hotel with a confirmed reservation that will not be honored.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks like I got the best deal in town at the American Youth Hostel in Monterey... nice facility, $20 a nite.

Next year I'm gonna go one better though... I'll bring my sailboat down from the bay area & get a guest spot in the marina for the month of July... a boat & motorcycle combo week, what could be more cool?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
People are suprised here? I booked a room for last year's WSB race that had a great view of the ocean. Got there to find out they had no idea who I was. Next thing you know I'm camped out for three days in a budget hotel in Salinas. Now, just to set the record staight, Salinas was a wonderful town with the coolest "tiny" irish pub I've been to in quite a while and some place around the corner had great fish tacos, but the Ocean was what I was looking for after a long day wandering the track and a view of the HWY was what I ended up with. So, don't be so suprised by what you get out of Monterey.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Boats and Bikes!

Dude, if you pull that off next year I'll add you to my personal pantheon. Don't get too excited though, the burnt offerings typically take the form of glazed brake pads and tires squared off from commuting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Screw them. You have the entire Bay area. Go stay in Cruz and or San Jose. I fly from the east coast every year, for AMA/WSB and have never been lucky to get a decent room Mon. Bay. So I rent a car from Santa Cruz or further north and take advantage of the great restaurants in the bay area. Besides the drive is a breeze, compared to the 500 mile days I do on my bike to go to Daytona from South Florida.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.