Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look it up under reference.com -essentially states that it is not connected to any unit of measurement, although one has to wonder. In shipping, a register ton is 100 cubic feet, and the original ton of weight was 20 hundredweights. Or it could simply mean 'a lot' as in "that bike's got a ton of speed and power"? Any Brits (last name Oxford) want to comment?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A `ton' in British slang is one hundred, usually for 100 pounds (sterling). A `pony' is 25 pounds, a `monkey' £500. `Ton' in this sense may come from the name for a measurement of 100 cubic feet. But I never heard of anyone `doing the monkey.'

·
Registered
480 Posts
Doing the ton refers to going 100 miles across the old iron bridge in england during the sixties..You would have a stripped down bonneville and go from one cafe to the other,hence cafe racers.Some people died doing the ton.I got this from my bass player ,who is welsh and was an actual cafe racer

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
For the life of me I just can't figure out how to work mention of the SV650, VFR (older one) and Concours into this.

BTW, today's link.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 'ton' is british slang for 100 of anything: 100 pounds sterling, 100 points, whatever. Don't know the exact origin but I don't think it relates to anything with a metric ton or any other ton (tonne) of weight.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Remember the Mother's Finest (funk) version that was releasd aroung '78? Groovin'

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Remember the Mother's Finest (funk) version that was releasd around '78? Groovin'

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
BTW, the latest issue of Motorcyclist magazine has a special focus on cafe racers. Best issue in years. And this after Boehm leaves... coincidence?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The 70's? What were those? I seem to lose track when Hendrix died and then it starts up again with the Police and Oingo Boingo. I seem to have a recurring nightmare that includes a very unlikely craprock band named Foreigner and a lot of butterfly collars.... but I doubt that that could really have happened. Must be an hallucination.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Yep I saw it. I agree with your comments about Motorcyclist.... In general I think Bike (UK) is the best mag I have seen. I used to get it. The American rags seem like tabloids. The UK mags have better photography, writing, print quality, etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.