Motorcycle Forums banner

How do you scrub-in new tires?

31K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  IceWorm 
#1 ·
Re: How do you scrub down new tires?

No

#4 ·

You might try just taking it easy for the first 50 miles or so. Only takes an hour. Just enjoy the scenery instead of riding like a bat out of hell. You might not have any scenery where you live. So put on a walkman and listen to the Doobie Brothers instead.

Or you could "scrub" the back tire by doing a long burnout while rocking the bike from side to side. Scream like a girl as loudly as you can while doing this.

Then do some stoppies.

Another possibility is getting a hand drill and a wire brush and scuffing up the tire, like Buzglyd does to hide the chicken strips.

I'm sure MR. ALLCAPS has even better suggestions.

#6 ·

You expected good, solid advice from THIS BUNCH???

I've never heard of a product or procedure to do what you ask. Which only means that I'm ignorant of such product or procedure if they exist....

From the useless info dept: LP record fans have a similar problem with mold release compound on their black vinyl records, but instead of falling down and going boom, you LP sound just kinda sucks. There are a bunch of products for removing LP record crud..NONE of which I'd put on a bike tire. I would not even put it on KPAUL's tires....

Geez, just ride easy for 50 miles. I mean, is that too much sacrifice for a nice set of rubbers?

#14 ·
To scrub-in your tires....

Just take it easy on your out-lap. After that, cautiously increase the pace for two more laps, until you are at 99.9999% of maximum lean angle/torque transfer/grip etc...

Oh you meant for a STREET bike? For street bikes and modern tires, ride conservatively for the first 10 minutes, gradually increasing your lean angle. Diablos are so good, that you shouldn't have any trouble with them, as long as you don't ride like an idiot for the first few miles. -Sean

#16 ·
Re: Squdly Nitwit?

...or ride like a Squidly Nitwit.

Sean, I wasn't the squidly nitwit on that 1000cc compro, was I?

I mean, shucks, I only got to ride tht ZX10R for about 10 minutes. And who wouldn't look like a squid on that tank I was riding?

I though "wow, this bike has got one of those slipper clutches"...but it was slipping the wrong way, like when I opened the throttle.

Jeez. And when I put that Bandit in the back of my truck, it was like a scoop of c-ment. Squished the springs down, real good.

Hope your hands better.

#21 ·
Re: To scrub-in your tires....

Second that. Diablos are no worse than any other tire I've ridden for scrubbing in. Were you asking about trying to scrub them with a brush or something? If so please perish the though.

If you really want to scare yourself and you are a track kind of guy try out a set of Pilot Race tires which are great into their heat cycle but slicker than snail snot when cold. The warm up lap on a set of those pups will get your attention.

#25 ·
Actually, there is a way chemically to make them sticky. Wiping down the tire surface with acetone (CAUTION: PROTECT YOUR SKIN IF YOU DO THIS!) will soften and remove a little surface layer and leave it tacky. Clean by wiping down with rubbing alcohol to remove any left over acetone/rubber goo. I did this when I picked up my second Suzuki in Portland, OR 1980, the day after Mt St Helens blew. It was raining with ash on the ground (very slick) and I was able to make it home in one piece. Do at your own risk, however, as I don't know what effect this has on initial tire wear (mine did OK). It may shorten the life of the newer tires a little but it does increase initial stickiness. I think the traditional way is really the best unless you are in a situation like I was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.