Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about submitting this clip myself, and had a similar reaction when I saw it. What surprises me is that the guy didn't see the car coming. It doesn't look like a blind intersection or anything, and if I was making a getaway I have to think I would be particularly acute to my surroundings. That said, this guy got what was coming to him, regardless of the fact that he didn't kill anyone or blow anything up. He was an idiot for taking hostages to get drug money, and an even bigger idiot for trying to make a getaway down what appears to be a major city street on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
No doubt he is an idiot of the first order. However, I think there were better ways for the authorities to handle the situation, considering the fact that they were the ones who supplied the bike to the bad guy and they obviously had access and some time with the bike prior to delivering it to the front of the bank. -Sean

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm thinking a duosport would have been the right tool for the job. Go where the cops can't. Not that I don't adore the R6 but a V-Strom would probably be parked next to a palm tree in Biarritz by now.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'm thinking maybe a Sport-Tourer.

Hey, what would be the best big ST for him to use, one wonders?

·
Registered
5 Posts
He's lucky they didn't shoot him. It would have been a "clean shoot".

Grenades have kill zones of meters and shrapnel zones of 10s of meters. Tazering does not always work, especially against heavily clothed targets as the barbs on the taser need to strike and penetrate skin. And you would have to get in close, inside the kill zone, and if it's an armed grenade it still goes off when he loses control of the grenade. (Successful tazer incidents usually have the target drop whatever they have been holding.) So much for waltzing up and tazering the bank robber.

Besides that guy was not going to just pretty baby boy surrender if the bike stopped. 12 hours of stand off and two hostages mean one crazy dude.

The video looks like they took him out at a roundabout / intersection which would reduce the collateral casualties if the grenade detonated. The driver of the car had cajones, would you like to be a target in an unarmored car of a standard issue frag grenade? Didn't think so.

It would have been safer to shoot him.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The last time me and mscuddy were in Spain, Franco just died and the cops all carried FN FAL's to keep the comunists in line.

I guess they could have ripped off a clip at him instead.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: How Spanish Cops Stop Terrorists

Personally, I would of had some marksman from the La Guardia Nacional get right where the cameraman was, and put his C.I.M.E. (FN-FAL) .308 to good use. Better yet, a Barrett Light Fifty, with exploding rounds.

Why ruin a nice bike?

That, or let him try to get away on a '71 Cyclone.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Criminals is so stupid!

Take hostages and then threaten police and citizens with a grenade? Shoot 'im, run 'im over..... either works for me.

In a crowded city using an FN/FAL to take out the perp has too much potential to also get several bystanders and a few pets as well. So the polices' solution probably had the least potential for hurt any innocents.

The guy was after drugs and money. All he had to do was come to the US, get a shrink to label him with some bullshyt made-up disorder and then apply for Social Security. Then he'd get free drugs and money and it's perfectly legit!

You are aware that Social Security pays money to heroin addicts, right? You tax dollars at work!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Remember the guys from the La Guardia, with the little varnised black hats, and the Baretta .380 SubMachine guns?

I'd hate to be stationed in a phone booth, in the middle of some intersection, in Rota.

Man, now that's tough duty. Did get a nap at 1400 though.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Criminals is so stupid!

The guys with the little black Napoleon hats used .380 Sub Machine Guns.

If you were ever in Spain, in the 70's, they were stationed in phone booths, in the middle of every major intersection, in the bigger cities.

The locals use to say "Don't look them in the eyes, they'll shoot you".

They did look like a hard bunch. Fascists, right?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: No More Maglites!

Yeah, and if they did that in LA, Johnny ****ring would be calling him on the phone, threatening the LAPD with a big lawsuit.

On a side note, they made the cops in LA ditch the Maglites. No more "Edison Medicine".

They're being replaced with little puny flashlights, unable to be used as a weapon. Reportedly made by Fuji Hea...oh, forget it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Justifiable Homicide

It would have been cheaper to use a $2 .308 Federal Match Grade BTHP to end that confrontation. I've never seen a more open shot when he was checking out the bike. I lingering pink cloud of mist and no more bad guy. No more threat of anyone getting killed.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Justifiable Homicide

"Federal Match .308 Boat Tail Hollow Point." Are you by chance a student of the Maj. Land / Carlos Hath***** school of marksmanship? I've always liked the 7mm Rem Mag. myself. The high speed/flat trajectory makes windage and lead soo much easier. I learned all of this while spending some quality time in tick and copperhead snake capital of the Army.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Justifiable Homicide

Ooops, I forgot the Brown Recluse spider capital as well.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: No More Maglites!

The idiocy of the LAPD administration is astounding. Because of one or two instances of poor judgement by a police officer, they're going to take away their flashlights, which could and probably have been used multiple times in self defense, and are a very useful tool when used as an actual flashlight as well. Using the same logic, I'm sure that squad cars, guns, and mace have been misused multiple times, so they should take those away as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.