Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Once saw a low mileage 2002 "V-Road" on ebay for $4000. Is this a good buy for one of them V-Roads?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Ebay is gambling.

Yeah, but the odds are mostly in your favor. I've bought one bike and sold one on ebay. The vast majority of people are very honest. And most of the scammers are so obvious, and spectactularly dumb, that it's pretty easy to spot them.

If you know anything about motorcycles, or whatever your buying there, you probably won't get burned.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Duh: A V-Road is God's gift to motorcycling

I've never ridden a "V-Road," but I have ridden a V-Rod (a few times) and was mighty impressed. One of my riding buddies has a 2003.

I'm still not crazy about the "Vegas *****" riding position or the mile-and-a-half long shifter throw, or the fact that the rear brake pedal is in an awkward position (for me). But, overall, it was a really nice handling bike (for being raked out) with pretty respectable ground clearance and a great motor. And it's about time HD offered a bike with some more contemporary styling. (And very attractive, to boot.)

However, God's gift to motorcycling it is not. Especially for $20 grand.

Now, perhaps you were too caught up in your Harley Davidson-induced inferiority complex to deduce that I was poking fun at a scammer's dead-giveaway spelling error and not your beloved all-knowing, all-seeing "Motor Company."

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Couldn't be happier with the bike I bought there, either. It was near immaculate and serviced properly. When I brought it to my local Kawi dealer for a jet kit, I had them do a looksee. They said it was in excellent mechanical condition. And I paid about $1000 less than the most of the dealers were asking for it. (And I got a Muzzy titanium can, too.)

The key is to try to read the tea leaves, examine pictures closely and ask plenty of questions if you have any doubts about the honesty of the seller.

That being said you're still taking a chance when you can't see the bike in person. You are protected to a large degree by ebay now, but it's still a risk. A risk I'm glad I took.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Dear Knucklehead

Perhaps you were too caught up in your Harley Davidson-induced inferiority complex to deduce that I was poking fun at a scammer's dead-giveaway spelling error and not your beloved all-knowing, all-seeing "Motor Company."

(See my above post for my experiences with the vaunted V-Rod.)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Um, Yes I did

Hmm, apparently your razor-sharp wit didn't translate well into the post.

Actually, I thought the guy who replied to your post was goofing on you!

Oh well, never mind. Just having fun.

And don't call me squidly again or I'll have beat you with an Ironhead!

(God, I love this.)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Um, Yes I did

I feel much better now. It's so nice that we're all getting along.

BTW, "Rode Worrier" was kinda good.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Dear Knucklehead

I'm happy for you.

When I beat you with that Ironhead you're gonna have a flathead, mister!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Nope, didn't get a full system, just the bolt-on. But they run about $500. So I'm still pretty happy with the whole thing.

I did have to pay for shipping, but I still came out a few hundred ahead.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just looked it up on ebay. Doesn't seem to be an outright scam, but I'd be a little leery about the seller. He's only got three transactions, negative feedback and one transaction aborted. Not a good track record so far.

How long has it been since you sent the e-mails? I usually give them about a day to respond.

Why I think it's probably not an outright scam:

1. There are plenty of pictures of the bike. Often, scammers will just pull one or two pictures of someone's bike off of the internet somewhere. They usually do not have access to more that two or three pictures of the same bike (also check the backgrounds of the photos to see that the bike was photographed in the same location, and not just random pictures of the same model and color bike). But this is not gospel. I have seen some scams with multiple pictures.

2. There is a VIN number listed. Most of the time scammers will not list a VIN number. In any case, if you have any doubts, you should run the VIN number through the state's DMV.

3. It is not listed at a low-ball price. When all is said and done, this bike will probably go for about $8,000. One of the biggest scams is to list a bike for a ridiculously low price to lure someone in for a quick sale. Of course, they have no bike and they'll try to get you to pay right away in return for such "a great deal."

$8,000 for this bike (remember it is still 2 years old and technically used) seems fair. But look into what the actual value of the bike is, if you don't already know, to get a feel as to whether you may be getting scammed.

4. The seller has completed transactions that relate to motorcycling/motorsports (Did sell some cars and had another bike listed.). Investigate the seller's feedback history and look for transactions/items that relate to motorcycles (if they're still available for viewing).

Apparently, many scammers hack into legitimate ebay users' accounts and list items to these accounts. If you find the bike is listed by "luv2knit" and you find only transactions for knitting and quilting supplies, you might be getting scammed. That is not to say that luv2knit can't also own a Gixxer, but in context of other suspicious circumstantial evidence, I'd stay away.

Also, this person seems to be in the buy/sell business, so it is possible that they bought this bike from the original owner or took it as a trade in. This could explain why the guy had it looked at and inspected. But this is a big maybe. If this guy doesn't respond to your e-mails and answer in a believeable manner, I'd walk away. There are plenty of honest, no hassle people on e-bay.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Exactly. The obvious upside is that you can usually find exactly what you want. And the truth is that sellers do have a vested interest in being honest. The scams make up a very small portion of the activity, and like I said above, you can usually spot them a mile away.

Note: I was looking for a bike for a friend and saw a 2002 Honda 919 with 2200 miles and a Two Brothers exaust listed for a Buy it Now price of $4850 (for the ebay unititiated, this means you can hit a button, buy the bike, and end the auction right there). And it's legit.

The only problem is that, after a few days, the seller saw that the bidding would probably exceed his B.I.N. price removed the B.I.N. option. The winning bidder will probably still get the bike for a little over $5,000. That's a real good buy.

But if my friend had pulled the trigger, he would have gotten it for $4850. Plus about $500 for shipping. You can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Resale

Do I care what the resale value is if I'm buying low? Think about it.

If I want to sell it later, I still got my money's worth. It's all relative.

This is why I would rarely buy a NEW Japanese bike.

Make sense?

Oh, by the way, it is not normal for any depreciating asset, like a car or, say, a three-year-old Harley to sell for almost what you can buy a new one for. Harleys, or more "exotic" European bikes are extraordinary examples with extraordinary factors. You can't hold Japanese bikes to the same standard. Especially since the Japanese have built market share by advancing technology. Naturally, the introduction of today's latest, greatest Japanese bike is going to adversely affect the value of yesterday's latest, greatest bike.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Resale

By the way, congrats on the Brutale (Oro?). They are really sweet. I'd like to get my hands on one, too.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: I think we agree

Yes, we do agree. You are right to say that I do care about resale values in the sense that I can buy a used bike at a low price.

However, the fact resale values are not as high as Harleys or Ducatis is not an indicator that Japanese bikes are a poor value. Honda, for example, sells plenty of new bikes to those that want their latest, greatest bikes. I'm just not one of those people (most of the time). And for those of us who can live happily with a 2-year old bike, it's a great value.

And the 919 that I referenced was a pretty rare case. Most go for more than that.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: No Oro here

Not many of us do. But since you do seem to have a few bikes, and therefore must be fairly obsessed, I figured I'd ask.

Obviously the "regular" Brutale is gorgeous, too.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Name calling is not listening

Okay, I was going to stay out of this one, but I just can't.

First of all, this is a MOTORCYCLE Web site. I would like to enjoy it as such. I get enough political witch hunts on TV, radio, and in the newspaper.

That being said, why is it that Republicans get accused of being neo-facists when there are plenty of thought police on the left side? And, while I used to be somewhere in the center of the political spectrum, the liberals/Democrats are pushing me further to the right every day. Democrats should change the name of the party to "Contrarians" and get it over with. Would someone from the left please construct a coherent argument on any issue, please? And you go accusing the right for being reactionary, ridgid and unintelligent. What a joke. A strategy of failure is no way to win over the undecided.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but if you can show me how George W. Bush and the current adminstration is directly and wholly responsible for the exportation of jobs (which, I understand is a natural feature of the global economy), how he knew about 9/11 and did nothing about it, and, of course the classic nonsense about how the Iraq war was all about oil, then I might listen. But I doubt any of you can because most of what I hear from the left are empty sound bites and slogans.

There, now that I've got that out, someone insult my bike or call me a squid so we can get back to why we're here. Any takers? BuzGlyd? Fire away.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts