Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Oh great. You had to remind me of the dozen gallons of old oil sitting in plastic milk bottles in my garage that I've got to take to Autozone.

I've been using Mobil 1 in my bikes after a few thousand miles of mineral oil for initial run-in. My old G has 50K on it now and still doesn't use oil at all. Apparently Mobil 1 still has gear shear additives in it so the tranny works fine. I tried Castrol Synthetic once and the tranny immediately became notchy. So that was $25 in oil down the drain.

This is a good time to recommend this interesting article on oil additives:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-additives.html

I especially like the following quote:

Avco Lycoming, a major manufacturer of aircraft engines, states, "We have tried every additive we could find on the market, and they are all worthless."

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
In addition to James' good advice I'd add that 6-point sockets are your friends.

Also a simple old fashioned torque wrench, the kind with the torque bar not a dial gauge, is a good investment. They last forever. Craftsman sells one for about $30. It's lifetime guaranteed. The dial ones aren't.

If you plan on buying a Harley all you will need is some screwdrivers, vise grips, baling wire and some duct tape. And a big basket to carry the parts that fall off.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
I'll give the RT a try. I'm always ready to save a buck or two. Especially since I've got to replace my recently and catastrophically departed Magna.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: How not To Change Your Oil

You drove a freakin' TR6 from KY to Mexico!!?

You are the bravest man I've ever known.

Or the most foolhardy.

Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

A: They have Lucas refrigerators.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

Q: How do you completely dismantle a Triumph?

A: Park it in your garage and return in a month.

I've yet to meet anyone who owned a Triumph auto who didn't have a major mechanical disaster regularly.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

British sports cars were like Shovelheads. When they are running right all is well with the world.

My wife and I borrowed a friend's 60something MG Midget for a weekend once. What a hoot. It was definitely more fun to go fast in a slow car than to go slow in a fast car.

But I still think the best British two-seater ever built was the Datsun 1600 Fairlady. My brother owned one. Faster and almost maintenance free. You could actually drive it without having someone follow you around in a rescue vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.