Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Some useful tips here. But I pity to boob who doesn't know how to change his own oil or is too stupid to figure it out with out guidance. I guess there are lotsa newbies out there and failing to change the oil is a good way to kill a new engine. Doing it wrong is a good way to kill a bike and yourself. But owning a bike used to be an exercise in rugged self-reliance and having to read a "how-to" on oil changing seems a bit sissified. Yes, "how-tos" are self reliant activities but some things you should just figure out on your own.

On an upbeat note, with the economy in the tank and gas prices not allowing you put anything in the tank, this is a good way to save a few bucks. Toward that end, keep the "how tos" coming.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
I've owned so many cars, trucks and bikes there is no way I can count all of the oil changes I've done. I've only had one crush washer leak and I have hardly ever bothered to replaced one. I have had several occasions where the rubber "o" ring on the oil filter stuck to the base of the oil filter mounting surface. Makes for an interesting mess is you don't catch it and spin on the filter with two "o" rings in place. Most shop manuals will tell you to clean the mounting surface and if you do you will always catch that problem. It's kinda odd but it does happen.

And, after reading way too much about oil filter construction, I am now using Purolator filters when ever possible.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Ever get a headache after changing your oil? Use the gloves as suggested. They ARE a damn good idea. Maybe if we say it enough times people will listen. There are so many cancer causing, brain damaging pollutants in used oil that anything more than the most casual encounters with the stuff needs to be avoided. The post above is as true as it gets.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Re: Chevy Van

Amoco & Exxon have. Works good. God hath given us dominion over them thar critters to do with as we se fit. And what them West Virginians does with animals is as abusive as soakin' up oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.