Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
The first time I changed my oil, I overtightened the drain bolt and cracked the aluminum oil pan. The guys at the shop said their junior mechanics had done the same thing a couple times. Contact cement improved the leak but didn't fix it completely. I had the original drain hole filled and a new one drilled. It cost slightly less than a new oil pan.

Beware of the loose plug too. I watched a buddy quickly spew 4 litres of oil under his back tire when his drain plug popped out on a busy road. He almost lost control while traveling in a straight line. It popped out because the previous owner had stripped the plug threading, then taped over the plug with some high strength/low melting point tape - you know the one.

I haven't bucked up for the torque wrench yet, but it would certainly provide some peace of mind.

· Registered
3 Posts
Agreed. I loosen/tighten the filter by hand without removing any fairings (2001 GSXR). In fact, I don't even lift the bike. I leave it on its side stand, slip a paint tray under it and loosen the plug.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.