Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first time I changed my oil, I overtightened the drain bolt and cracked the aluminum oil pan. The guys at the shop said their junior mechanics had done the same thing a couple times. Contact cement improved the leak but didn't fix it completely. I had the original drain hole filled and a new one drilled. It cost slightly less than a new oil pan.

Beware of the loose plug too. I watched a buddy quickly spew 4 litres of oil under his back tire when his drain plug popped out on a busy road. He almost lost control while traveling in a straight line. It popped out because the previous owner had stripped the plug threading, then taped over the plug with some high strength/low melting point tape - you know the one.

I haven't bucked up for the torque wrench yet, but it would certainly provide some peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I guess it was 20 yrs ago...maybe as early as 81, but no later than '84. I was outside Barry Higgins' shop in Mableton, Ga ( he moved out to Douglasville many yrs later) - chewing the fat with Barry, gleefully overstating the details of the bike trip to the Rockies I'd just returned from. And then it happened. I would not have believed it unless I'd seen it. Even to this day, maybe I think I dreamed it: some bonehead on a Yamaha cruiser wobbled up, chain dangling as low as I'd ever seen. He stops, turns off his engine and says, "hey, man...can you adjust my chain? I'll pay you".

The mind boggles. They are out there and they need help! But are they worth redeeming?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Uhhh, I've got 20+ yrs experience assisting the likes of Auto dealers, machine shops, mechanics, millwrights, etc., with Safety & Health programs. If you change oil once a yr or so, a little oil is no big deal. But if you have a couple or three bikes, change oil 3-4x/yr and do your own car, own lawnmower, etc., dirty oil on the hands is not a small thing. Latex, nitrile or vinyl gloves ARE a damn good idea.

Don't believe me...hey, no problem. But remember...believing something is not so will not make it not so.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've owned so many cars, trucks and bikes there is no way I can count all of the oil changes I've done. I've only had one crush washer leak and I have hardly ever bothered to replaced one. I have had several occasions where the rubber "o" ring on the oil filter stuck to the base of the oil filter mounting surface. Makes for an interesting mess is you don't catch it and spin on the filter with two "o" rings in place. Most shop manuals will tell you to clean the mounting surface and if you do you will always catch that problem. It's kinda odd but it does happen.

And, after reading way too much about oil filter construction, I am now using Purolator filters when ever possible.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Ever get a headache after changing your oil? Use the gloves as suggested. They ARE a damn good idea. Maybe if we say it enough times people will listen. There are so many cancer causing, brain damaging pollutants in used oil that anything more than the most casual encounters with the stuff needs to be avoided. The post above is as true as it gets.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: How not To Change Your Oil

You drove a freakin' TR6 from KY to Mexico!!?

You are the bravest man I've ever known.

Or the most foolhardy.

Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

A: They have Lucas refrigerators.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Everything is easy after you've done it 1000 times but there's a first time for everyone. If articals like this help someone out then where's the harm?

You did remind me of my neighbor about the same time ('81 or so) who wanted to impress "the biker" (me) next door and do his own oil change. He puts his '70 something LTD up on the bumper jack, crawls underneath with his cresent wrench, yanks out the drain plug and pours 5 qts. of dity oil all over himself, his driveway, the storm drain, and eventually the Green River.

I was laughing so hard I dropped my bong....er...I mean beer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I, too, used to think the same. If you do any amount of serious work, however, they're indespensible. After a while, your skin gets stained, starts to crack due to use of harsh cleansers all the time, no to mention the wife doesn't want any of that business anywhere near her (if you know what I mean). If the phone rings, you grub up the phone. If you need to find something in a manual, you grub up the manual. Get the gloves, be a happy camper. Even for small jobs...it's all of like $.10. --Chris

·
Registered
729 Posts

There and back in 4 days (back in the days of 55 mph speed limits) with a side trip to New Orleans and no tickets :). Not only was I young and inexperienced enough to do this without much thought, but I was also dumb enough to drive about 50 miles along a beach south of the border. When I got back to KY I watched the thing dissolve into a pile of rust in my driveway in less than 4 months! It was easy to part out though.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

Q: How do you completely dismantle a Triumph?

A: Park it in your garage and return in a month.

I've yet to meet anyone who owned a Triumph auto who didn't have a major mechanical disaster regularly.

·
Registered
729 Posts

I think that you could extend that statement to all British Leyland cars of that period -- terrible crankcase ventilation, terrible seals everywhere, and rust-o-matic metal body panels and frames. All of my rally buddies who owned Jags had the same problems. You definitely had to be a committed owner.

Still I'm glad I owned one. I put 70K miles on my British racing green 72 -- almost all in long distance blasts around North America and it was a hoot to drive - parking lot engine rebuilds were just part of the deal and it made that ride along the beach with a senorita in my lap more worthwhile.

Now I am reduced to trolling for chicks that dig F250's and grey pony tails.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

British sports cars were like Shovelheads. When they are running right all is well with the world.

My wife and I borrowed a friend's 60something MG Midget for a weekend once. What a hoot. It was definitely more fun to go fast in a slow car than to go slow in a fast car.

But I still think the best British two-seater ever built was the Datsun 1600 Fairlady. My brother owned one. Faster and almost maintenance free. You could actually drive it without having someone follow you around in a rescue vehicle.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.