Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very nice review. Very informitive. Ive been wanting to buy a 900SP and now I know what it is like.

I will miss Mr Thomson

I think he almost turned into MR. ALLCAPS in the second to the last paragraph.

·
Registered
295 Posts
He could always remind you in writing that living balls out was the only way. As he once said: "I'm not going to recommend massive quantities of alcohol and illegal drugs, random violence, or cheap, meaningless sex to anyone else. But they've always worked for me."

Damn, the man could write.

Francis

·
Registered
955 Posts
Shine On You Crazy Bast-ard!

When John Lennon died, I mourned our collective loss of innocence, then puked my guts out in the Presence of the Porcelain God, after confessing my sins to a bottle of German Rhine Wine (that Third Reich Sacrament’s Murder…ya don’t watch yourself).

Popes have come and gone – digging their own graves with their post-hole-digger hats – and their Souls and their Goofy-Ideas have been hurtled into the steaming bowls of Eternity (with their Mortal Remains dressed up like a Faberge Eggs, so they looked Silly as Hell) and I couldn’t have cared less.

There have been Wars, Famine, Genocide, Fratricide, Murder, Mayhem, Boy Bands, Elvis Impersonators and I’ve NOW lived to see Breast Meat at McDonald / Wendy’s / Billy’s Burger Barn, and even at The Super Bowl, and everyone of those thing have been shocking to some…but not to me.

Because, Chaos/ Insanity/Madness/Lunacy, and every sort of Pig-Ignorant-Bull-$hit that could ever be imagined has (at on time or another) been run through Hunter S. Thompson’s Warped and Turbulent Stream of Consciousness...so, it’s all sorta made sense.

Let the Feeding Frenzy Begin! Let the Silicone-Pig-Goddess of Network TV Pronounce! THE KING IS DEAD and that my heart is broken. And INSANITY will now and forever be, Just That! The Prism has been broken, our eyes have been made blind…The Oricle of What The F--k...No Longer Speaks.

Somebody gimme me my Remote and a hand me a switch-blade…now, I gotta watch the World go to Hell while cleaning my toenails…The Wheel of Fortune just took a turn for the worse…and, ain’t nobody left to explain things anymore…Nevermore?

Rest In Peace (you Crazy SOB I shall miss you forever and always.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
RIP HST

well, i liked the guy and all, and aks not for whom the bell tolls, etc. But I have to say HST always seemed a little over-rated to me. Look no further than the Ducati CW thing. Fun to read, but about as accurate as, well, not very accurate is it? Which is what journalism is mainly supposed to be. Or that was the goal once upon a time. His Hells Angels book was fun, c. 1965. Should've sent him maybe a Hayabusa. Sort of sad ending, another guy trapped by his own fame...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ha!

You, of all people, should fall to your knees and worship that man, as he broke ground that all moto-journalists happily dance upon now.

As if anything printed in a motorcycle magazine since 1973 has conformed to any traditional definition of journalism! And Hunter (and Wolfe, and some others) made it OK.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: RIP HST

Sometimes something that passes for "journalism" isn't (Your Government is spending your money to tell you how to think!) but if it takes us somewhere off the beaten path, makes us feel and Think maybe there is value still. You well know this I know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll upchuck alright. He lived a life to revel in debauchery, isolation, disfunction, and breaking drug laws (whether there should be laws on cocain etc. being besides the point). He isn't credited for doing anything notable in the last 30 years (by the repeated press accounts which may not be entirely thorough) and I guess his assessment of his own selfworth and contribution to society was so high he ended it by eating a bullet. The guy should have been in one of those much touted "self-esteem building" classes. I'm sure his son and wife appreciate his final selfless gesture. Living in Aspen skiing yourself off a cliff or into a tree could at least pass for an accident so life insurance could be collected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was always a big fan of his ever since I came across "The Great Shark Hunt" in 1980. I would never want to be him or live like him but he was sure as hell fun to read. I think people like him just don't have the capacity to live normal lives so they either find an outlet that allows them to function or they end up in jail. Lucky for us he could write......Sad to see him go and I wonder if there was something that triggered his suicide such as a cancer diagnoses or something....time will tell...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I always admired Hunter S. Thompson, not for his decadent hedonism, but for his bold irreverence of our political leaders, and the idiocy of their policies, during a time when even greater numbers of the public bought into their deification than the current crop of sheep. My six year old son is named Hunter in his honor. Good by HST. You will be missed. VWW

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always believed suicide was the ultimate selfish act. Shame on him.

Labeling HST as a journalist is incorrect. He was a satirist. Through his drug and alcohol bent eyes, he pointed a finger at the absurdities of our lives. There was no objectivity in his writings and he never claimed to be objective.

You may have admired him for his writing prowess or you might have dismissed him as an insane clown, but there is a real need for court jesters like HST to remind us that the emperor wears no clothes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
OPINIONS: You have yours...I have mine...

Thompson, Burroughs, Wolfe, Kerouac and Neal Cassidy, all crossed the lines between information, philosophy...and, personal expense (real and imagined) and we all laughed like Hell, and were all the richer for it. So, viewing anything HST wrote, through the narrow focus of the Big End of the journalistic-telescope, is PRETTY DAMN STUPID! (if you ask me)

I don’t owe Hunter S Thompson any thanks because he told me it was raining outside. But, I am grateful for his observations that it was actually a Reign of Insanity that was besetting us all…and, he made me laugh (just the same) while he did it.

HST took a Pogo Stick to a MotoGP race without ever hoping to win, but he conquered so many Worlds with his Words, Wildness and Wit.

And, so, now, when anyone says, "Hey, you sorta write like Hunter S. Thompson," almost every writer feels proud of himself (maybe not you, but there’s not accounting for Whatever Board You Have Up You’re A$$ at this particular moment, and, who really cares, anyway…so, Big Deal/So What/Why Bother).

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yep! You're Right!

I always thought it was Surrealistically Ironic that Polictics made more sense when they were viewed for Thompson's drug-addled and twisted perspective.

While the "World News Tonight," told us what had happend, Thompson always reminded us that, they were Full of $hit, and that...Objectivity was always Skewed by Personal Perspective...and, were all Crazy, anyway...So, so much for Dan Rather and his Silly A$$ sweaters...

And "Meet The Press" is just a bunch of well-paid over-dressed Blow Hards, who just happend to arrive at the studio unusually sober, ENOUGH, to sorta make sense (to anyone watching TV at that time on Sunday morning...and, who were viewing without the benefit of at-least three cups of coffee, or a bottle of medical-nitrous handy).

Hey, he made lotsa sense, to some of us.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, it's sad to have someone you've enjoyed and admired turn your estimation of them upside down on the way out.

I would not have thought that HST would turn to the coward's way out...and I'm saddened by it. I almost hope it turns out to be a staged murder or something, so he can salvage some respect.

Godspeed regardless

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: OPINIONS: You have yours...I have mine...

Right, if i disagree with u i must have a board up my ass. Actually I thought something felt a little unpleasant back there. Hey, HST is the "self-described gonzo journalist," and you're right, all journalism is subjective to some degree. So, running with that theme: if his ramblings re: a Ducati are that far of the mark, it sort of makes you wonder how accurate all his other observations might have been?

I liked HST's stuff too, but I don't think most of it was anything to shape your whole worldview around. And if you did, I'm sure he is having an excellent laugh wherever he is.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.