Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty cool.

I like it! Hey, I drive a car that gets almost 50mpg (Golf TDI) and a motorcycle that gets 40+mpg. When I want to go on really long trips, I take the car, when I need power and excitement, I take the bike. If this was affordable as transportation (commuter bike prices vs. sport bike/cruiser/touring bike prices) I'd get one.

luvmyvfr

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Hey its cool cause it can burn biodiesel. It does look a little pregnant with that bump. :)

I love innovation. I was originally poo poo on hybrids but I was convinced by other MOrons that combining the instant torgue of an electric engine with a pratical internal combustion engine was a good thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know why some of the major companies don't attempt a high mpg motorcycle. I think worldwide it would sell. Also it seems to me that a motorcycle used a couple of hours a day would be a great platform for an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I will sign up. Where do I sign up?

I love innovative technology. Especially when it allows me to have my cake and eat it too. With a bike like this, I can have my fun and I am doing my little bit to help control pollution. (without having to drive something that looks like a Prius)

By the way, anybody ever seen the Killacycle?

Yeah, electric bikes are coming. It is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tour de Sol

If you're interested in electric & alt-fuel bikes you should check out the Tour de Sol, which will be happening on the east coast in May. They have at least three interesting bikes or bike-like entrants right now: an electric scooter, an enclosed electric with retractable outriggers, and an electric Hog!

I don't believe the eCycle will be there, though.

http://www.nesea.org/transportation/tour/

http://neobike.net/neobike.cgi/events/tourdesol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I reckon this technology would be really well suited to scooters, particularly the bigger scoots - whose performance this seems to be similar too, but with all the other scooter practicalities.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The prototype body has been replaced

Looky here. eCycle is concentrating on a very advanced marine outboard/inboard power source right now for reasons of revenue, but the bike project still lives. The new plastic has been produced by SharkSkinz but not yet installed

·
Registered
162 Posts
Honda says thier 250 nighthawk gets "over 100 MPG if you're carefull" To bad it sucks (I looked at buying one as my first bike). Drum brakes, what are those? I think MO's review of this bike was right on.

The point is, there are plenty of bikes out there cabable of getting extremely high gas mileage. These are the lower cc bikes that are looked down apon in the US, so we don't many of them here. Also, most US riders flog their bikes and get much poorer mileage than they would otherwise. Because they're not popular, companies don't invest money in them, so they're even less desirable. It's a viscious circle.

The demand is for bikes that have REALLY high top speed (190MPH) and can accelerate REALLY fast too (9 sec 1/4 mile). This requires a large cc bike, and mileage suffers accordingly. I can certainly understand this; for many it's what riding is all about.

For me, one of the biggest reasons I started riding was to save money on my 55 mile commute (that's how I justify it to the wife anyway), and of course to have more fun while doing it. My truck just doesn't get great mileage (high 20s), and besides, I'd rather be riding! (too bad I live in New Hampshire and it snowed 5 inches on Tues, 10 deg to boot) :(

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
well, I'm the one laughing right now sport, I guess I'll have to wait till you get done fighting in Iraq before you and your million close personnel friends kick my ass, the bit about the hybrid was a joke, I didn't think I'd need to explain it to anyone, I'm sorry I overestimated your intelligence, it won't happen again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.