Motorcycle Forums banner

Hyosung GT650R Review

15K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  jjn 
#1 ·
Original Article:
Hyosung GT650R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Hyosung GT650R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

#2 ·
Nice write up, Yossef. Let me make a few points while I'm here:
1- Honda wasn't on top of their game when they came to the states in the 60's.
2- Although Yossef said build quality wasn't on par with Japan he didn't say it was so bad as to pass on the buy.
3- When Hyundai started selling cheap cars in the mid 80's people thought the quality was bad. It took 20yrs for them to get it right but now they sell cars that have the same build quality of Honda.
4- They do come with 2 yr factory warranties in the US.

Is a $500 savings worth it? Probably not. But if you're a club racer or just a cheap b@stard then this may be a fine fit. In 5 or less years the company (which is now owned by a much larger automotive company) will be right there in terms of quality.....

#5 ·
I've got to think that the entry of low cost manufacturers into the US market is a good thing. At a recent 'cycle show I saw a company I believe was called Q-Link with some dual sports that looked half way passable for a small rider. The suspension was way soft (despite a beefy diameter fork), and sales guy a bit mis-leading (he said the suspension was "fully adjustable" because you could add spacers to change the pre-load and change the fork oil to adjust damping!), but still probably a good value at $2-3K. Didn't Q-link make my network cards not too long ago?

#11 ·
Kymco (they're Taiwanese) make a sport atv that actually has build quality that doesn't suck. Granted, they are not in the motorcycle market in the US with anything over 250cc, but the scooters are pretty good looking and the off-road products can take a beating. If the Koreans take a clue things should be fine for them in the next few years.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
cina vs japan?

just this week I worte a whole article regarding China's, Korea's and India's (yes, they are coming too) motos. so then, in a nutshell:

There are many parallels to Japan's early days: Copying (harley, bmw and brit twins clones), Quality (Cheeshead screws), dubious design (sqaure shocks in the early Honda Dreams).
The two main diferences are IMHO: Japan was up against aging, leaking and unreliable British Twins and Iron head Harleys, The new boys are up against much nicer competition.
But the main ingredient that they are missing on, at least for now is in showing some passion for motos. All the big four took very early on racing at international level to improve the breed. I miss that kind attitude from all the new comers and I think it reflects on the product they are selling.
And BTW, Kymco are going to produce BMW's new 450 Enduro engines....
-Yossef-

#13 ·
Lack of Passion

jer competition.
But the main ingredient that they are missing on, at least for now is in showing some passion for motos. All the big four took very early on racing at international level to improve the breed. I miss that kind attitude from all the new comers and I think it reflects on the product they are selling.
And BTW, Kymco are going to produce BMW's new 450 Enduro engines....
-Yossef-
Great observation. I suspect the lack of passion my hurt them in the end though. Passion sustains us in the long run. Look at the Italians like Ducati Aprilia, etc. How many ownership changes have those guys been through but they still survive. On the other hand maybe producing low end bikes doesn't require passion or even passion can get in the way of making clear business decisons. Again nice points Yossef.

#14 ·
Hmm... Japanese copied and had low quality?

Firstly, thanks for the good article (again), and secondly I must disagree with this comment. From the first Honda imported to Europe, CB92 (124cc, 15 hp), it was apparent they produced something technically advanced. Not to mention CB750 that few years later on really blew the bank. Regardless of the cheesehead screws and twin 650 Yamahas, they didn’t get the markets by copying or by low quality stuff but simply by manufacturing better bikes.

- cruiz-euro

#15 ·
Ha!

Hmm... Japanese copied and had low quality?

Firstly, thanks for the good article (again), and secondly I must disagree with this comment. From the first Honda imported to Europe, CB92 (124cc, 15 hp), it was apparent they produced something technically advanced. Not to mention CB750 that few years later on really blew the bank. Regardless of the cheesehead screws and twin 650 Yamahas, they didn't get the markets by copying or by low quality stuff but simply by manufacturing better bikes.

- cruiz-euro
Back then motorcycles were so bad in general that it didn't take much to improve quality. The Brits and Americans were basically still selling 30s era crap and since they had won the war believed that they were invincible. Sheer hubris.

#16 ·
I think the most revolutionary thing Honda did back then was concentrate on four strokes and split their cases horizontaly instead of verticaly, all but eliminated oil leaks overnight. Plus they gave an appearence as a smooth quiet bike instead of the more busy and noisy two stroke Suzuki and Kawasaki of the time.

Their whole push was for motorcycles anyone could own without traumatizing the neighbors, look at the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign... tan chino's, hush puppies and a white cardigan... girls in summer dress's and scarfs...compared to the greasey jeans and black leather jackets on the Triumph, BSA and Harley riders they looked down right friendly, just wholesome Young Citizens out having fun. It was an image that sold well with mainstream America and moved motorcycling away from cops and troublemakers to a fun and cheap way of getting around.

I think Honda's early success was more a combination of good solid engineering and a brilliant ad campaign than any overreaching technological excellence. Once they got a foothold and filled out the line up with the "From Mighty to Mini, Honda Has it All" campaign there was no stopping them.

#21 ·
The reviews for the Hyosung motorcycles seem to be getting better as time goes on. And someone mentioned above that a Lifan broke an axle. Well, BMWs have been breaking axles for a while now, on, I believe, the F800GS models. There may even be a recall on them.

I spend some time on Hyosung related forums, and reading up on them, and there are certainly many happy owners too. I really like the GT250 and 250R. A full sized sporty air cooled v-twin interests me vary much. I've been thinking about the GT650 models now too.It seems like the later the bike, the better they are.

If anyone buys a new one, they should consider that the resale won't be as good as a Japanese motorcycle, so I would't probably buy one with the idea os "stepping up" or something later.

jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.