Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first first post?

Where was this when I wanted a twin? I didn't like the new SV---too industrial, whereas their old frame was nicely organic in shape. The Hyosung frame is niiiiice. Didn't want a M620. Can't get a Cagiva Raptor. This is the best of all worlds. 'Cept no EFI.

But how does it stack up against the Connie and VFR?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you seen one up close? The local Yam dealership is also the Alpha (Hyosung) dealer and you can really see the cheap on the bike. It looks like they made a SV 650 in 1985 and kept it dust free and ready for you. Was thinking of getting one until I saw it in the flesh. But you may dig it as they say one man's trash.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why not? I have to say that I have been caught looking at a Korean car a few times in the last year. So, who says a Korean company can't build decent bikes on the cheap? They should offer a ridiculously long warranty to help assuage fears of poor quality control. It has worked before.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Motor Cyclist did a test in Austrailia with a preproduction GT650 and they complimented the fit and finish. The only real negatives were that the front brakes were a bit underspec, but not bad at all, and the rear shock was a bit too firm and not damped properly. They also said the front inverted fork was very good (much better than the SV650), and the engine was nice.

However, I've not seen one in person yet, so maybe MC was being a bit too forgiving. I'd like to see for myself.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It says in the article "...there’s been less than one percent warrantee claims..." refering to the scooters that have been imported into Canada. I guess something can look cheap but still be built well but what exactly could you point out that looked cheap and breakable (welds castings, paint)?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Wow, I can't believe they actually managed to make a half-faired bike (GT650S) that doesn't look like parts are missing. Nice job.

They may not be perfect yet, but Hyosung seems to be on the right track.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
About time.

(rant)

Some more competition is just what the Dr. Seruzawa ordered. Has anyone else noticed that the current idea of a "new" model is a different paint job on the metric cruisers that have been around for more than a decade? The VFR gets a pointless upgrade to Vtec but leaves the self-destructing voltage regulators? HD changes footpeg positions? Suzuki makes the SV frames uglier than ever?

All these minor and mostly cosmetic changes are ushered in with reams of overblown ad copy that would put a political campaign PR flack to shame. "Bold New Cruisers for a New Millenium!" "The Greatest Motorcyle Revolution in the Known Universe".

Oh please.

(rant off)

Maybe in a couple of years HondaYamahaSuzukiKawasaki will be requesting protection from Korean dumping.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It's always good for the prospective buyer to have more competition for his dollar. Hyosung's cruiser is to be the best looking bike of that genera from the orient. The 250 is a welcome addition to the paucity of beginner’s bikes available here in the U.S. , and should be a mandatory stepping stone for all riders new to our sport. All of the 650s look better than the Japanese competition in their respective categories, and hey, if you're going to copy a bike, the first edition Suzuki SV is a good place to start.VWW

·
Registered
771 Posts
I know afew people that have Korean cars. They all have excelent things to say about them, including the price, and warenty. If Hyosong gets a quality bike out, for less than the competition good. As someone else posted, toss in a 3 year or better warenty and it calls in the consumer.

And its not a bad looking bike (in pictures)

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If anyone took the time to notice, the engineering team for the Comet and various other machinery come directly from Suzuki. These people are not assamed to admit it and as far as I'm concerned that's just fine. Korean's are building a cheaper (cost) machine. That's going to sell bikes, period.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
i am trying to figger out how this benefits Suzuki? i will need a free-market capitalist genius to `splain me... More profitable to sell engines to Korea than motorcycles to litigious Americans?

·
Registered
514 Posts
That full fairing 650 looks nice... a lightweight sport bike would look good in my garage next to the CityX.

this should be a BIG heads-up for Suzuki to put some effort into the SV, maybe fix those cheap-arse forks... that bike isn't half what it could be.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Cool. However, as the dollar slides because of W's Argentina like fiscal policy, these may be the only bikes will be able to afford. ooops They are Korean right. oops that means increasing prices for Korean goods as well. Buell Blasts will be the only bikes we will be able to afford. As we become the next third world nation. Time to apply for Canadian citizenship.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Wow, maybe the next (ahem) Honda?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.