Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stay away...at least away from the 250 and at least for a short time. Two of the different brit bikes mags I read (can't remember which but probably Bike and Ride) both said it handles somewhat like grocery store shopping cart (ok, I'm embellishing...)

Seriously, they said the 125 and 650 were nice, but the 250 handled very poorly and was weedy.

And they said the 650 would be nice except its not that much less than the Suzuki SV650 and the zook is much nicer.

OTOH, Motocyclist said that the 650 engine rocks!

All that said, these are probably teething marks they'll overcome within a few years. Aas you say, they are definitely one to watch!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
There's a billboard on I-15 here that shows two people on a DP bike. The sign says something like "350cc for $1,500." I couldn't see the manufacturer's name but I assume it's Chinese.

It's be nice to see someone try to offer DP bikes at less than the ridiculous prices that the Japanese are asking for DP bikes. If they can offer any decent reliability and support they may just put some spark back in that class of bikes.

I just think that $3000 for a 200cc DP bike is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I've seen quite a few of the small kid sized Chinese bikes around my home in Richmond, VA.

I have heard mixed reviews from various sources. Most say the mechanical components (engine, frame, suspension, etc) are good, but the bikes fall short in detail work, and I've heard people having carburetor problems.

Can't beat the price, though, especially on the small ones. In our overly consumptive society, they'll all probably do just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hyosung- the next garbage

I've lived in South Korea for 3 years and the only reason for owning a Hyosung or Daelim bike is if you live in Korea it's easy and dirt cheap to get them fixed here. I can't imagine owning one of these back in North America where labor and parts cost $$$.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You have to be kidding me...

1) There is no UJM? What's the nighthawk? What's the SV-650? What's the z750? What's the Eliminator 125?

2) The next honda? There is no next Honda. If Toyota or GM started a motorcycle company... that, and only that, could be the next Honda.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Looking at how quickly Kia and Hyundai have gained market share and improved the quality of their cars as share increased, I'd be keeping an eye on Hysoyung if I were in the motorcycle manufacturing business. Honda entered the waters with little foo-foo bikes, built market share, offered bulletproof bikes and moved aggressively into larger displacement markets. I have a 1998 Sportage that is holding its value well (how I don't know 'cause it's crap). I've looked at a few newer Kias and they have come a long way since '98. (Yes, I buy American where there is a decent enough product, but the Kia belonged to my father.)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: You have to be kidding me...

The 750 Nighthawk has been dropped. You can get a 250 though. I'd love to see you on one in full leathers and one of those new nifty Italian Power Ranger helmets.

Triumph makes British Universal Motorcycles (BUMs). Bonnevilles and Thunderbirds.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought a Chinese 50cc for my son. My friend sells them at his dealership. Runs well, but it does leak from the carb, and the oil injector pump went bad as well. A bit cheaper than a Yamaha, which is what it's a direct knock-off of, but I doubt I would be having the same problems.

Also, I think it's going to be a ***** to sell when he outgrows it.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I think it's more like "A shopping cart full of bowling balls with one seized wheel, falling down a flight of stairs".

But look at those trick USD forks. I read somewhere that a couple of engineers from Suzuki defected to Hyosung. It does kinda looks Suzuki-ish.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I read a review of the 650 a few months ago (in Two?). They said it was a pretty good knock off of the SV-650...similar engine (I think the same bore and stroke) not to mention similar looks.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yes, they did. In fact I have a copy of it here at work. Fact is, Hyosung has also hired away some of the big four's engineering talent. Anyone who poo-poos them right now could be in for a big surpirse. Sounds like the what people were saying about Honda in the late 50's.

The same issue has a review of a Comet 650. They said it's a very capable bike that is only let down by it's sub-par rear shock and mediocre brakes. They raved about the motor, inverted front fork that worked real well, and the chassis, even though it's somewhat heavier (due to the use of steel instead of aluminium). They're also supposed introducing a liter-sized V-Twin sport bike and naked bike later in the year. They plan on pricing them about 20% less than the Japanese.

Take this for what it's worth, but Crusier also named the Hyosung 250 as the winner of it's small bike comparo, beating all of the big four and some of the other newer Asian manufacturers. Granted, we're talking about a class of bikes that doesn't get a whole lot of R&D TLC, but still pretty impressive.

Will Hyosung hit it big here? Who knows? They're going to need to develop the bikes a bit more and they're really going to need some marketing help. But I wouldn't dismiss them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.