Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
To be honest, a couple weekends ago I was running a few errands in shorts and boat shoes. Dumb as shyt? Indeed. Do some of us do stupid things from time to time? Yep. In the end, I was still hot, self-conscious, and worried the entire time. (But my Sperry's looked fantastic)

There are times when the weather just downright sucks and riding isn't as fun as it normally is. My opinion is that if you're going to either compromise your safety or will be completely miserable being on a bike, it doesn't make you a fair weather fan to leave it in the garage (or the alley, in my case).

Y'all act like it's a hunert and twenty degrees out here....can't be more'n a hunert and fourteen.
I took the MSF course in a heat wave. It was fun yet torturous. One of the ladies was sun burnt and got heat exhaustion. It's a good thing it was right after the class ended but boy was it hot.

@the main post: I'm pretty much going to agree with the quote above. Sometimes you just go out in a short sleeved shirt. When I was a noob looking around for a bike I saw this guy in a loose vest, shorts and sandals. I was appalled but after a series of heat waves even I ditched my jacket and I have to confess I've been on my bike in shorts. I do not recommend this and it's true you get really paranoid. On certain days, I stay indoors and go out late afternoon.

· Registered
3 Posts
I almost went out without my gear today. It hit 97 degrees, and had to be over 90 when I gave up at 10 or 10:30am. We've had 4 or 5 days straight over 90, 10 this month, and tomorrow is supposed to hit 99. Heck, it is 11:15pm and it is still 85 out there. It is only June!

I was out this morning around 8:30 and I was already hot when wearing my mesh jacket. It was OK when moving, comfortable when moving and in the shade, but every time I had to stop for a light it was sheer torture. I was very close to going out without my gear (the jacket and gloves anyway), but instead decided simply to go home and not go back out (when I went back out today it was in an air conditioned car).

Luckily, this summer is not our usual summer. Our first 85-90 degree days were early to mid April. Usually we don't get those until late May. Most summers the weather we've had this month is late July and early August weather (though we usually have a couple 100 degree days in July and August).

What do you guys who live further south or in the desert do? My jacket and helmets are black, would a lighter color really make that much of a difference? I do understand reflecting v. absorbing light and heat, but when it is this hot does a light colored jacket and helmet really make a noticeable difference? Should I just limit my riding for fun to early morning, evening, and nights when it isn't as hot? Stick to the highways and country roads where I can minimize lights (though I would have to deal with them to get from my apartment to the country or interstate)? Brosh has these "evaporative cooling vests" (I assume you drench them in water and the evaporation is supposed to help cool you?), do they work? Do they work in a very humid area or do you need to be in a dry heat?

Sun Glasses - Motorcycle jackets and clothing

Anyone have ideas and tips to help make riding in high heat more pleasant.
Two or three ends of the week prior I was getting a couple of things done in shorts and deck shoes. Moronic as shyt? For sure. Do a few of us do moronic things every once in a while? That's right. Eventually, I was as yet hot, reluctant, and stressed the whole time. (However, my Sperry's looked fabulous)

There are times when the weather conditions out and out sucks and riding isn't quite as fun as it ordinarily is. That's what my perspective is assuming that you will either think twice about security or will be totally hopeless being on a bicycle, it doesn't make you a fair weather conditions fan to leave it in the carport (or the back street, for my situation).

You all carry on like it's a hunert and twenty degrees out here....can't be more'n a hunert and fourteen.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts