Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
First post! A conservative attitude is definitely a safety plus but since when were motorcycles conservative? We'll always have the problem of speed killing peple who were attracted to the sport because of the speed! Sad but true.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not fair

That's two first posters beating me to first post while was actually typing MY first post. There's just too many people out there with not enough to do. Get out and ride your bikes or something.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
''I can save my own life''

Is Speeding the leading cause of accidents, or is it the failure to stop (or avoid)?

I'm intrigued: What are the different four cards?

·
Registered
10 Posts
"One of the leading causes of motorcycle injuries and deaths is speeding."

Several years ago, while pulling up to a stop light at about 15mph, I hit a puddle of diesel fuel and fell down. The cop that investigated the accident cited the cause as "excessive speed for conditions". So I don't believe those "speed kills" snippets. They are grossly contaminated.

Regards,

Mark G

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I always observe the speed limits. I ride down I-15 and say to myself "Look at that 65mph speed limit sign. Isn't that nice?"

Last weekend they had those new big programmable displays on I-15 and I-80 all saying "DUI laws enforced". I said to my wife, "Look at that. And here I thought that they were going to ignore DUI laws on Labor Day weekend."

Your tax dollars at work.

Hutch, do they actually have people with actual M/C riding experience give the safety lectures, or is it still usually some brown bar who has bever ridden one?

Ninth post, by the way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
USAF is doing a great job trying to keep young motorcyclists from killing themselves, especially duing the "101 Critical Days of Summer."

Did you see the following:

In a bold move to try to curb motorcycle accidents and to identify Airmen at higher risk for mishaps, Pacific Air Forces officials have implemented several programs command wide, including a restrictive motorcycle policy intended to bring safety to the forefront for every rider in the command.

The need for senior leader involvement to ensure the program’s success is critical, said Master Sgt. Todd Parish, superintendent of plans and programs for PACAF’s ground safety office.

"Commanders must make safety a priority to their younger Airmen," Sergeant Parish said.

The motorcycle policy the command instituted puts heavy emphasis on training and safety awareness as well as limiting those less experienced riders to vehicles more appropriate for their skill level.

For example, the policy restricts new motorcycle riders to driving machines that are under 600 cc, and they are not allowed to carry passengers for one year. This limits the amount of power at the hands of inexperienced riders and gives them time to develop the skills needed to operate safely.

One of the more successful safety programs adopted by PACAF has been the motorcycle mentorship program Sergeant Parish said.

The mentorship program puts experienced riders in a unit with less experienced riders to help them learn the proper skills necessary to ride safely.

"We implemented the mentorship program at Misawa (Air Base, Japan) over a year ago, and they have had no accidents since it’s been in place," he said. The Air Base had averaged at least two motorcycle accidents per year for the five years prior to implementing the mentorship program.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depends on which lecture. The usual one's we get all the time, no, it's done by someone checking off the boxes.

Before we can ride on base, we have to take a safety course (MSF style) or take the MSF course downtown (my choice, didn't have to take the Practical switching to an AK license).

The decisions made, especially PACAF's lastest greatest (See below) are generally made by those who aren't riders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
posts that only say, "first post!" are the single most annoying thing about MO news articles.

to those resposible, I say:

STOP IT! NO ONE CARES! YOU'RE BEING LAME!

ok, i feel better now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: PACAF

This new program was in place well before the 101 hit us. When I got back from deployment end of January, I was told it already applied to me.

Couple of points of clarification I wish to make to the policy above:

'New Motorcyclist' is relative. They generally go by when you took the safety course unless you can prove a certain level of experience (by documentation, not testing). So if someone rode everyday before he joined, and was sent here, he could be limited to the new rider's rules. On the other hand, I could probably pass the MSF’s Advanced course with a little more practice despite low hours on a bike and be qualified to have the restrictions removed.

The engine size limitation is across the board. I can’t go out and by myself a Sportster, but the 600 Ninja is GTG.

Can’t speak of the mentorship program, first hearing of it.

PACAF is making great gestures at improving their safety, even have a new program for tracking it and determining how ‘At Risk’ personnel are (PACAF CARES) but most have no substance (PACAF CARES), and those that do make about as much sense as the Motorcycle policy. It all stems from the fact they were leading the AF in mishaps and accidents, so I understand why they’re doing this. What I have a problem with is splashing a little paint on the asbestos and calling it good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Not fair

I agree. I think you should be given the first post award because your first post actually WAS a post. No credit should be given for a first post when "first post" is the only thing in it. Sheesh.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: ''I can save my bacon" thought of the day

I wonder if that would help the kid who I saw in the crest Sunday wearing a tank top and shorts riding his first street bike, a '03 GSXR1000?

Doubt it....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.