Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
What's winter? Is that something that happens back East? Brrr, it's going to be a chilly 78 degrees here in LALA land today. Have to break out a sweater.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Since I was a parachute rigger in the navy I got to scam all kinds of cold weather gear out of the paraloft, so I had a dry suit, good for -20 degree North Atlantic wawa, wool long johns and layers of jackets and trench coats, with a pair of coveralls over the dry suit.

So anyway here I was bundled up and ready to ride in a Virginia Beach blizzard that was at about 15 degrees at the time. I was on my trusty CB100 Honda and made it all the way to the end of the main road out of NAS Oceana, and tried to stop. Hit some black ice and it dumped me into one of those big frozen ditches that run along next to the roads in VA.

Only took about 2 hours of grunting and cursing to get the waterlogged 100 out of the ditch, at which point I turned around, back to the base and swore never to try that again.

But then there was the time I had to ride the 100 up the 61 expressway in a blizzard so I wouldn't miss ships movement (Pier 9, Norfolk) When we got back after two weeks for a Carribex the honda was frozen to the lamp post I chained it to. Ah, memories...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts