Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I ride in the winter. But my riding isn't in a downtown area, or suburban sprawl and I work from home so I don't commute. Just some nice country roads for me. I usually wait a day or two after snow or ice melts away and the salt gets pushed to the side.

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
I just want to ride. When im driving down the road i fantasize that i am riding, but it is icy and snowy and im sad and depressed.
I think im going to buy a triumph this spring. I like sidercars, im thinking about a Ural too, but i dont know anything about them other than that they are BMW-esque. SWMBO says shell roll in a sidecar but not on my bike...iurfiuhvifviubfipuhgfweiohgh.....winter sucks...homebrewin' is great. It just tastes better, like home cookin'.
Just move? Than you can ride all year around without the worry of snow.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Believe me on this one, I don't need to check a stupid website to know what's up in Chicago when it comes to motorcycles and riding here. I've only been doing it for 40 years, so spare me the 'speaking from ignorance' bullshyt counselor. I obviously asked you for names you can't deliver, so the ignorant one is yourself. Nobody rides here in winter when there is snow and ice on the ground counselor, no matter what the 'Rounders' website says. N-O-B-O-D-Y, in case you can't spell it. Here's a hint, just because something is on the Internet doesn't make it true. Try real life for a change.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Cool. Good luck to the Cavs man. I think they got it this year. I have two pains in my ass this year already: The Bulls and Sachi.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I'd sooner poke my eye out with a bum's frostbitten index finger than move back to Florida.
I'm with you. The lousy winters in Utah pay for themselves up here by keeping all those left wing wackos who live and work in Oakland from moving here.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I'm with you. The lousy winters in Utah pay for themselves up here by keeping all those left wing wackos who live and work in Oakland from moving here.
When it snows you can go skiing, snowboarding, or use a snowmobile. When it is really humid in Florida (which it is from February through November, and only mild relief in December and January) all you can do is sweat.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Believe me on this one, I don't need to check a stupid website to know what's up in Chicago when it comes to motorcycles and riding here. I've only been doing it for 40 years, so spare me the 'speaking from ignorance' bullshyt counselor.
Translation: I couldn't take going to the Rounders' website and find out she was right. :)

Look, if you don't want to ride in the snow, then don't. I'm not going to say that's a bad choice. But other choices are available, and some folks may want to try them.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think you've found your calling. ;o)

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
So, I Went and Looked

From the Rounder's Website:

Feb 2007 - The roads were very icy and this is as far as I got (photo of bike in driveway) until it warmed above freezing and dried up a bit. I have no problem riding in the cold, but the conditions must be dry before venturing out into the below freezing weather. Riding in fresh snow is usually not a problem if one excercises due care, but I prefer using a smaller machine for those adventures.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Please tell me you either ski or snowboard.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Please tell me you either ski or snowboard.
Some cross country skiing, yes. We snowshoe too. Well, it's like snowshoe up the mountain, have lunch and then ski down. It's pretty cheap that way. Well actually it's free. Though the resorts try to convince people to pay to do the same thing on their property. I can still carry enough beer myself.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Since I was a parachute rigger in the navy I got to scam all kinds of cold weather gear out of the paraloft, so I had a dry suit, good for -20 degree North Atlantic wawa, wool long johns and layers of jackets and trench coats, with a pair of coveralls over the dry suit.

So anyway here I was bundled up and ready to ride in a Virginia Beach blizzard that was at about 15 degrees at the time. I was on my trusty CB100 Honda and made it all the way to the end of the main road out of NAS Oceana, and tried to stop. Hit some black ice and it dumped me into one of those big frozen ditches that run along next to the roads in VA.

Only took about 2 hours of grunting and cursing to get the waterlogged 100 out of the ditch, at which point I turned around, back to the base and swore never to try that again.

But then there was the time I had to ride the 100 up the 61 expressway in a blizzard so I wouldn't miss ships movement (Pier 9, Norfolk) When we got back after two weeks for a Carribex the honda was frozen to the lamp post I chained it to. Ah, memories...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Winter in Chicago

I walk through the snow to the bus. Sometimes I walk through the snow to the train, you know, just to mix it up. Sure beats skiing and snowmobiling. It's awesome here!

(And by walk, I mean trudge. Cursing.)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Remember, heart rate should be 60-80% of max for aerobic benefit.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Since I was a parachute rigger in the navy I got to scam all kinds of cold weather gear out of the paraloft, so I had a dry suit, good for -20 degree North Atlantic wawa, wool long johns and layers of jackets and trench coats, with a pair of coveralls over the dry suit.

So anyway here I was bundled up and ready to ride in a Virginia Beach blizzard that was at about 15 degrees at the time. I was on my trusty CB100 Honda and made it all the way to the end of the main road out of NAS Oceana, and tried to stop. Hit some black ice and it dumped me into one of those big frozen ditches that run along next to the roads in VA.

Only took about 2 hours of grunting and cursing to get the waterlogged 100 out of the ditch, at which point I turned around, back to the base and swore never to try that again.

But then there was the time I had to ride the 100 up the 61 expressway in a blizzard so I wouldn't miss ships movement (Pier 9, Norfolk) When we got back after two weeks for a Carribex the honda was frozen to the lamp post I chained it to. Ah, memories...
I remember that winter. I had a '67 Beetle with snow tires I got for swampin' in N. Carolina...That lil' bastard was unstoppable, we had all kinds of fun zipping around in it.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
From the Rounder's Website:

Feb 2007 - The roads were very icy and this is as far as I got (photo of bike in driveway) until it warmed above freezing and dried up a bit. I have no problem riding in the cold, but the conditions must be dry before venturing out into the below freezing weather. Riding in fresh snow is usually not a problem if one excercises due care, but I prefer using a smaller machine for those adventures.
Fantastic post, kenneth. Fantastic.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Fantastic post, kenneth. Fantastic.
Well I don't want to get in the middle of a Sachi/LR pissing match, but the idea of riding a street bike on public roads in ice and snow is ridiculous. Yes, I'm in FL, but I've traveled a lot, and even with 4 wheels those conditions are dangerous. The Rounders site clearly does not support the conclusion that people are operating bikes in those conditions, except for putzing around on dirt bikes in snowy fields.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts