1,609 Posts
You didn't look very hard. :)

2008 Studded Tire Thread - Rounders Bulletin Board
Baby It's Cold Outside - Rounders Bulletin Board
First snow ride - Rounders Bulletin Board
More snow - Rounders Bulletin Board
First Ride '09 - Rounders Bulletin Board

There are others.

No one is going to do something that isn't safe, given their skill and equipment. LR (typically) overreacted and I had some fun with him. The point remains, however, that if you want to ride in the winter and are going nuts without your two-wheel fix, snow and ice don't need to stop you.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"No one is going to do something that isn't safe, given their skill and equipment. "

Ummmmm yes they are. People come here for advice, and you gave him bad advice. If making you look stupid is having fun with me, have at it. I'm enjoying it immensely.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Well I don't want to get in the middle of a Sachi/LR pissing match, but the idea of riding a street bike on public roads in ice and snow is ridiculous. Yes, I'm in FL,..."

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that fire is hot, knives are sharp, and snow and motorcycles don't mix. It doesn't matter if you are in Florida, because common sense can be found all over the country. No experience necessary to tell you some things are just stupid. I am in no pissing match, but for someone to flippantly tell anyone to go out and ride in snow and ice on the roads in a major US city is not only stupid, but dangerous. That isn't pissing, that is fact.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well I don't want to get in the middle of a Sachi/LR pissing match, but the idea of riding a street bike on public roads in ice and snow is ridiculous. Yes, I'm in FL, but I've traveled a lot, and even with 4 wheels those conditions are dangerous. The Rounders site clearly does not support the conclusion that people are operating bikes in those conditions, except for putzing around on dirt bikes in snowy fields.
After driving on your wet sea shell infused pavement I wouldnt want to ride in the wet in south florida. None the less the blue hair factor, at least when they are weaving all over they are only doing about 15mph. But they may not stop if your in front of them...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I'm seeing a niche motorcycle market opportunity. A true winter bike. Light, not too much torque, say, under 500cc, designed with riding in sloppy condition in mind, yet with high levels of rider comfort/protections (heated seat & grips, electric outlet, very protective faring system). And a good enough protection package that the bike can fall over without damage.

OK, who's making that?

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
When it snows you can go skiing, snowboarding, or use a snowmobile. When it is really humid in Florida (which it is from February through November, and only mild relief in December and January) all you can do is sweat.
I have a saying here in Florida, it goes something like this, if it's too hot to wear gear, it's too hot to ride! But you know what, where still ridin!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I thought from prior post that most of you that lived in the cold ran all year long, from reading your post Iam finding that not to be so true.
I second BrowningBAR's comment. I do ride all year long. Temps are not the limiting factor, nor is rain. The prob we've been having here along the eastern seaboard is rain (lots of rain) with plummiting overnight temps. You wake up and there are ICE puddles everywhere.

As a matter of fact, I was driving to work yesterday. A construction truck (water tanker) had been leaking, leaving a trail of water on the road that had frozen, leaving a winding trail of ice a mile long. I kept thinking, "Man I'm glad I didn't ride today!"

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I second BrowningBAR's comment. I do ride all year long. Temps are not the limiting factor, nor is rain. The prob we've been having here along the eastern seaboard is rain (lots of rain) with plummiting overnight temps. You wake up and there are ICE puddles everywhere.

As a matter of fact, I was driving to work yesterday. A construction truck (water tanker) had been leaking, leaving a trail of water on the road that had frozen, leaving a winding trail of ice a mile long. I kept thinking, "Man I'm glad I didn't ride today!"
Why are we still discussing this? No one needs to justify a decision not to ride motorcycles in icy conditions. The people who do ride in icy conditions are the ones who still haven't justified their behavior properly.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts