Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about Vanson, but Bates will send you a card so you can go into your local tailor or seamstress and have your measurements taken. You're still dealing with phone/mail/web ordering, but the end result is all good.

They made a jacket for my wife that way and the fit is perfect. If you've ever helped a woman shop for motorcycle gear, you know that a perfect fit doesn't just happen.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Vanson does the same as Bates, and I am certain other custom suitmakers do as well. On the other hand, if you are really nervous about it, you can always use it as an excuse for a ROAD TRIP! to your chosen suitmaker!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Nutsosane, I'm 6'3", 210lbs. I wear a 45-46 long dress coat. I would really recommend taking a look at the Roadgear Jacket from my first post. The XL fits me great with the liner in, and there is plenty of room with it removed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Call Z Leathers at 714-890-5721. These are the people who actually worked at Bates leathers before Bates was bought out. They are superior quality to Bates and they understand custom fit and road racing protection. They also cost less than Bates.They are 100% made on the premisies so custom alterations are no problem, they are very good about alterations and won't try to convince you that the suit fits when it doesn't . More than I can say for their competition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am 250lbs 6'0" use bates always a great fit had some z leathers which did not last sill have bates boots & leathers that are 30yrs old

by the way some of bates emp have been with for the 30yrs i have got leathers from them

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am 6-5 and I had my leathers made by Barnicle Bill in Alabama. I had a seamstress take the critical measurements and I can say they fit like a glove. Much better quality than any thing I see @ the track. He charged me a little extra though, as he had to kill a small calf because one cow was'nt enough. Don't know if he's still around. Try Google

·
Registered
730 Posts
Im 5-11 220 lbs with an "uncommon " shape. Off the shelf just dont work, i ordered a custom 2 piece Dirt track suit from Advanced Leathers in Md. he sent a detailed measurement diagram and form. my wife measured me.......leathers fit great. i wouldnt hesitate to order leathers from a reputable company by mail or online.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a (Kaff!!) "unusual" waistline, but I wanted a pair of leather pants to fight off the cold when I ride to work in the AM, so the off-the-rack jobbies were not an option. Hooked up with Z leathers who made me up a pair based on the measurements I sent them. Work like a charm, and still going strong after 3 years of fog, rain & sun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go to motophoria.com. I'm 6'5" 260 lbs and have a tough time finding leathers to fit (haven't paid for custom leathers). I wear the Axial Vintage jacket (perforated), size 56 (try to find that from most European manufacturers!). By far the best jacket I have owned in 16 years of riding. High quality throughout, CE armor, retroreflective piping. Just a great piece of equipment. Check 'em out and let us know what you think. (I don't work for them. Just a very satisfied customer.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.