Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed out the horn on their bike? I imagine so because my 1100 rumbly V Star has a horn that sounds like it belongs on my daughter's bicycle.

Any suggestions on how to change out a horn and where to find one?

Also, should I have any powering concerns? Like will a new horn drain my battery with a single blow?

Drivers are crazy today, especially the ones on cell phones. I want a horn I know they'll hear.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Go to a BMW shop and ask for a used horn. They are Buick loud and cheap in most cases.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Go to the pick-a-part nearest to your house. Find an old Ford Galaxie 500, or Dodge Polara. Remove the horn and the HORN RELAY (very important)and you'll have a horn that blows like a very large angry automobile. Worked on my old Kawasaki KZ750. I used a Ford Pinto and Mercury Montego horn, and they had this odd vibrato quality when used together that made dogs howl, and crossed the eyes of cage drivers. Pedestrians would jump out of crosswalks.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Since I installed my drag pipes I have NEVER been hit from behind or the side. What more do you need to know?
It's those pesky frontal impacts that are his issue, I believe.
There's only so much LOUD when the offender is heading right at you.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Just Go.....

.......with a straight-pipe exhaust. You'll be much safer for it. Screw the horn.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I find that popping a couple from a .357 works wonders. Except in LA where such things are too commonplace.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.