Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
Icon Operator Gear Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Icon Operator Gear Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Informative, concise review. The Operator stuff looks neat - but I still don't like the idea of camo as moto-gear. Bad enough me wearin' black and yellow with reflectives.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Not just Camo. Pixilated Camo.
That's the new stuff.

Is it just me? I find it a bit disrespectful to wear clothing that looks like military uniform garb, when one is actually not in the military. I must be getting old. Time to go stamp out that bag of flaming dog poop on my front step. [email protected] kids!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
That's the new stuff.

Is it just me? I find it a bit disrespectful to wear clothing that looks like military uniform garb, when one is actually not in the military. I must be getting old. Time to go stamp out that bag of flaming dog poop on my front step. [email protected] kids!
I have no issue with Camo on others. Duck hunters come to mind.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
That's the new stuff.

I've got a few old Desert Camo light-jackets that I wear at work in the Winter and as welding shirts - given to me by a friend who DID serve in the Desert (Iraq). He didn't seem to mind me havin 'em, so I wear 'em. They're durable, lightweight, fairly spark-resistant, and were Free.

HOWEVER, they've been "debadged" and have no external identifying marks, and I don't go-around acting as if I was in the Military or some-such shyte.

I don't see any Disrespect, so long as your intent is Respectful.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
That's the new stuff.

Well, then get the US Govt to stop selling the stuff!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well, then get the US Govt to stop selling the stuff!
I don't have a problem with anyone wearing surplus military gear. Wear your BDU jacket, or your winter boots. Just don't wear the helmet, jacket and gloves all at the same time in a vain attempt at looking "stylish" or militaristic. It's like Janet Jackson in that video where all the guys were wearing military-like uniforms. Not good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I see this being popular with the veterans that return from the current war. Since they're so many riding sport bikes without gear, giving them something that instantly reflects gear they wore overseas may invoke a purchase or two.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
The soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines I see riding around here mostly wear the Icon "flame" gear with a "Mil-Spec" vest. Cruisers or sportbikes, the look seems to be the same.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Early in my riding years I used to wear the black combat pants cause I could wear therals & sweats under them, but was never big on camo. Between finally getting a pair of chaps and being able to fill the big pants without the layers, I don't anymore.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My Icon jackets are yellow. I want to be seen when I'm on the bike, so camo would defeat that purpose. I'm all for army surplus gear, though. Those army surplus jackets are perfect to wear when going fishing! :)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"My Icon jackets are yellow. I want to be seen when I'm on the bike, ...."

That will be tough when the guy that will run your ass over was texting his girlfriend as he was using you for traction. The biggest problem with drivers today is not paying attention. No color you will wear will ever help that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Perfect! Because, really, who wants to be seen by traffic when you're riding your motorcycle? This gives car drivers additional fuel to the "I didn't see him" argument. "I mean, look at him, he was wearing camo!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts