Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAPA has a make-it-yourself kit for wires. They look a little cobby, but they'll work. Lockhart-Phillips USA has Nology ignition stuff that will work, but it is expensive.

peace

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You can buy ignition wire and caps by the foot at NAPA and make your own., or take the coil with you and see which universal set will fit. Might be longer than you need but this should be a no brainer..

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I agree with Pete. Having had the misfortune of owning a 700 Magna I say dump it. Don't throw goos money after bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A Sabrer or a 700 magna is not a a V-65.

You obviously have never ridden a v-65.

Sabre's have a tendency to be unstable at any elevated speed, a 700 magna is not in the same catagory. Its a little bike.

Most of this stuff is dreamt up by motorcycle.com so don't take it serious.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The original V-4 engine from Honda came out in the Sabre model in 750 and 1100 versions, hence V45 and V65, after Reagan's tariff the V45 was dropped to 700. The 1100 version was dropped after two years. The original model were the Interceptor sportbike and Sabre standard. The Magna versions came out a year later to compete with Yamaha's Maxim and Custom series...........

back to school, bub

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Engine designs were virtually identical. Including the oiling system that ran oil to the cams after it lubricated the transmission. Hence the sound of exploding V-4 valve trains dotting the landscape.

Some guy on the internet sells a bypass system that is supposed to help the cam life. The bike isn't worth the $250 he charges for it as far as I'm concerned.

Who wants a bike that makes you pull the rear wheel and fender to change the freaking fuel filter?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
It that like that scene in Battleground where the 1st leut. tells the kraut general "on your way, bub..." after General McAuliffe said "nuts" to tha nazis when they wanted the the army to surrender at Bastogne?

James Whitmore, now there's an actor....better than Van Johnson...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Both of 'em were, go figure...Huxleys Hornets, bah...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here ya go. I also own a V65 among a bunch of others - Here is whay I did.

I went to my Local Honda DLR and purchased some of those NGK universal hard plastic spark plug boots with the correct angle - available are straight, 45 and 90 degree- I then purchased a set of 4 cylinder Sprial wound plugs wires - Accel yellow to stand out. The eng on the ign coil side has what appears to be a wood screw that the wires threades into then the screw on cover goes over than. I did the same thing on the other end and for less that $40.00 I got a real good looking set of wires - No problems at all... Do this and let the V65 live!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Actually, the first of these were the 750 Magna and Saber models from 1982: the V65 or 1100cc models were added in '83, along with several Interceptor models appearing over the next 3 years or so (VFR750, VFR700, VF1000F, VF1000R, VF1000FkR, etc.). The HD/Reagan Tariff forced Honda to sleeve the V45 engines down to a V42.5, but the V65 bikes continued to be made in Marysville, Ohio from '83 through '86, before the hideous 750 Super Magna appeared in '87. The Honda Magnas appeared before the Maxim and Madura models, as well as the VMax.

As far as top end oil issues went, the V65, V45, V42.5, and V30 engines were all known to have issues getting enough oil to the cams at low rpms, and a fair number of cams were replaced by Honda, The '82 models (the V45 Magnas and Sabers) were particularly prone to maintenance problems, not the least of which was improperly adjusted valves from the new Hamamatsu automated assembly line for the V4 engine, and the '82 bikes were regarded as pariahs. Honda bought back more tahn a few from justifiably irate dealers before the year was out, and IIRC, there were no less than 8 sevice bullitens released detailing such things as the need to use 2 feeler gauges to check clearances.. The Interceptors went to gear driven cams in '86, and as far as I'm concerned, took a step backwards when they dropped them in '02.

As far as the ignition issue that prompted this thread, I'd say check out www.sabmag.org and sign up for the mailing list: there are people on there that have forgotten more about the Honda V4 engines than I'll ever learn. there is also a BBS for the V4 bikes, but I don't frequent it as much as I used to.

Bryan...back to school, Sarnali...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.