Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all. I Am new to this forum, and I am glad I found it. I just bought a new Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD, which I will pick up tomorrow. I am reeeeeally looking forward to riding it. I expect I will learn from you all, and I hope, in time, I will be able to contribute and share something of my own. I do have one question. It does not have a fuel gauge, and since I don't like guessing at things like how little gas I have left, I was hoping there is one available. Anybody know anything about that?
Thanks.

Brain

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
How long have you been riding?

Most carb'd bikes come equipped with a three-position petschlong: Off, On, and Reserve.

When riding, you keep it in the On position, until you feel the bike run-out of gas; usually it will be a sputter or stumble, the "feel" of it varies from bike to bike. When this happens, you hold-on the throttle and reach down with your left hand and rotate the petschlong to the Reserve position. Then start looking for a gas-station.

Your bike should also have a resettable trip-odometer. After a few-tankfuls, you should have a good-estimate of how many miles you can go between fillups, where you reset the odo back to zero.

If you're as new to Motorcycling as you are to this bike, please consider an MSF Beginning Rider Course.

It might save your Life, and will certainly answer many other questions you may have about Motorcycling on a face-to-face basis with your Instructor.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
You have a "trip" meter on the bike. Get used to it. You shoud be able to go around 140 miles or so on a tank.
Your going to have to get used to the fact that when the bike runs out of fuel you'll have to switch the petkock from "on" to "res". Your reserve will get you about 20-30 miles before you run completely out of gas.
BTW- we have all left the petc0ck on reserve after fill up and run out of gas before- get used to it. It will happen. You just have to remind yourself to switch it back to ON before you actually fuel it up. If you get into that habit it will help.
You don't need no stinkin' fuel gauge. Gauges are for wimps. All you need is a full array of idiot lights to let you know what going on with your bike. You'll be fine- trust us.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Bike fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Three of my bikes have fuel gauges. All are horribly inaccurate... most saying empty when the tank is 1/2 full. Just use the tripodometer.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You have a "trip" meter on the bike. Get used to it. You shoud be able to go around 140 miles or so on a tank.
Your going to have to get used to the fact that when the bike runs out of fuel you'll have to switch the petkock from "on" to "res". Your reserve will get you about 20-30 miles before you run completely out of gas.
BTW- we have all left the petc0ck on reserve after fill up and run out of gas before- get used to it. It will happen. You just have to remind yourself to switch it back to ON before you actually fuel it up. If you get into that habit it will help.
You don't need no stinkin' fuel gauge. Gauges are for wimps. All you need is a full array of idiot lights to let you know what going on with your bike. You'll be fine- trust us.
I dont know if i'd want to trust anyone on this board... ;-)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I dont know if i'd want to trust anyone on this board... ;-)
And well you should NOT, young Padawan.

Trusting leads to Friendship; and Friendship leads to letting someone you've known for years yet met only-20-minutes-ago-at-a-Rally ride your Motorcycle; and letting someone you've known for years yet met only-20-minutes-ago-at-a-Rally ride your Motorcycle leads to Reciprocation; and Reciprocation leads to riding the Motorcycle of someone you've known for years yet met only-20-minutes-ago-at-a-Rally; and riding the Motorcycle of someone you've known for years yet met only-20(now 35!)-minutes-ago-at-a-Rally leads to liking the feel of a different bike; and liking the feel of a different bike leads to BUYING a different bike; and BUYING a different bike leads to Joy; and we all know where THAT leads.

Once start You down that Dark Path, forever will it Dominate your Destiny.........

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The other problem with that is buying a new big leads to a pissed off fiance... Shes already pissed off at me for messing up my paps CL100 on the trails last weekend... Its trash compactor food now.
"Apparently, 'Do whatever the @%&! you want doesn't mean what I thought it did'"

---Attributed to some guy in Denver that bought a GSX-750R, but had to sell it.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
BC,

You're welcome!

You'll probably be surprised how consistent your bike is for hitting the "thirsty" level. My Low Fuel lamp comes on within 5 miles of the same distance just abouit every time.

Good luck, and ride safe!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Letting someone ride your bike leads to watching someone drop your bike. That leads to having to listen to them swearing they'll pay to fix it while knowing they won't. That leads to you having to stand there and nod your head in sympathy, while you listen to their crap while all you want to do is kick the livin' sh*t out of them. This is where you learn the cardinal rule...

"friends don't ask friends to ride their Motorcycles..."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.