Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem - litre bikes will be running up to 100 mph when doing a power wheelie in first gear. You're not watching for cops when the wheel is up. My ZX-10R is a wheelie monster, but if I approach the rev limiter in a power wheelie - 100MPH. That's just 1st gear. It'll do it in 2nd and 3rd too, but then the speeds are more outrageous. If you are an experienced wheelie-er, then you can balance a wheelie at a steady speed, but you don't need a litre bike for that. Get a bike with some low end torque like a Ducati, Buell or maybe even an SV, then you can wheelie off the the bottom of the tach. Safer for you and your license

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If you're just looking for a bike to do wheelies on, the best (stock) candidate I've ever run across is an FZ-1. If you can't wheelie one of those, you shouldn't be wheelying, period. However, with the right mods, any bike can do wheelies, including a 250 Rebel.

As far as literbikes go, I'd put my money on an R1, since the performance of all of them is pretty similar, and to me it looks the best. The Honda, to me, is fat and ugly. If I couldn't get an R1 I would buy the ZX-10.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Having ridden both the '04 R1 and the 10R, and seeing how peaky their revbands are, I would say go for an older R1 (or maybe a GSXR1000). My 2000 R1 felt SO much stronger below, say, 8000 rpm than these two that I couldn't believe it. Its an undersquare long-stroke diesel compared to the new bikes' high-revving Honda v-tecs. That said, it still has a raging top end, it just doesn't feel like it has a turbo bolted on.

This low-end torque, along with the R1's short wheelbase, make it probably the easiest wheelieing bike ever made. Even with a relatively tall top gear (about 80 in first gear) you can clutch it up at about 15 mph and ride all the way through redline which ends up being a pretty decently long wheelie if you get it high enough. I am too scared to shift during wheelies and probably always will be, knowing a couple guys who looped their bikes trying to shift. But the older, high-torque, shorter-geared R1 is the wheelie machine for all time. Jumping from the older R1 to the newer bikes is like night and day. Torque has been sacrificed for top-end power. High torque makes wheelies much easier in my opinion. I had a hard time doing any wheelies with my first bike, a GSXR600. They were so easy with the R1 that now I can loft one just about anywhere at anytime, though I would rather spend my time in the turns.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Pine Box for sale?

You better grow up a lot before you go buy your big bike.

Or... just invest in some serious life insurance... I can think of a few suggestions if you don't have any ideas for benefactors.

·
Registered
514 Posts
best wheelie bike ever... the Honda MiniTrail 70 I had in 5th grade. You didn't even need to crack the throttle (lucky thing) to wheelie, just grip the bars and throw your weight back

plus I was at the very best age to appreciate that kinda stuff

·
Registered
295 Posts
I second that motion. The SV 1000 is a wicked wheelie bike, even though the wheelies often happen unintentionally. Any other thoughts from you MOrons?

By the way, I think doing wheelies on a public road is an invitation to cranial damage, so the only time I've ever done a wheelie is by mistake. I generally try to keep the front wheel on the ground.

And the only people that I've ever seen doing a wheelie and stay stable are people like Ben Bostrom, Matt Mladin, etc. Rossi can likely do one sidesaddle. So, if you're as good as they are, are on a track, and are wearing full body armor, wheelie all you want.

Francis

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Best willy bike evah...

Mini Trails were ok but hands down the best wheelie bike ever was the "Go Devil" foldable scooter. Period. One handed, backwards stand-up wheelies, while holding a tall Coors, were all possible on the Go Devil.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Guess it depends on whether you want to ride or impress your friends.

And we want to do wheelies, why?

I recommend you buy a dirt bike to wreck doing wheelies and keep the 600 to ride.

If you're gonna stunt, you're gonna break stuff.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Well then don't look at the photos of the next comparo please!

By the way, an Aprilia Tuono is probably the ultimate wheelie machine. The Buell XB12s is another that can be wheelied at sane speeds. The Tuono can be wheelied at any speed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm thinking Speed Triple....

Yo, Rob.

I'm assuming your post is a dosh tongue in cheek in regards high-speed wheelies, and there are other, more legitimate reasons you want to go big.

How about a Speed Triple? Wheelies on command, stupid power, plus the lack of fairing makes you feel like you're going about 20 mph faster than you are so the chances are better for license retainage.

Plus it looks wicked. No one's gonna remember your GSXR from another sportbike but a Speed Trip carries its own memorable in-your-face attitude wherever it goes.

And it costs about half as much as Buz's MV!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Honda, in their infinite wisdom, chose to severely limit the number of Repsol CBRs. We are getting one (1) and that's it, and some dealers are getting zero. We don't yet know how available the plastics will be, but if available we'll probably see more "fake" Repsols than real ones - crash your red or black one, use the insurance money to make it a Repsol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Those who are fascinated with wheelies lack imagination. The almost infinite variety to be found in corners is where it's at. Of course, a crossed-up wheelie coming out of a corner can be kinda fun.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Can't really argue with the SV1000, though a used TLR can be had for less. TLRs have a mutant suspension, but they're a hellava lota fun.

Either way, both will be nice to ride in the twisties, when you get 'em outa the shop, after wadding 'em up.

Oh yeah! If you buy one of these, have 'em put a set of Yosh pipes on while it's being fixed. They sound awesome.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Best willy bike evah...

My 1971 HD Baja out wheelies Hodakas. Mine tends to inadvertently wheelie at the worst times.........but a 1968 Rapido was probably the wheelingest street bike I ever rode......even when you didnt want to

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.