Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Great. Now that we've once again proved that it is utterly stupid to drink and drive let's move onto other mind/judgement altering substances that are used in even greater quantities because they are considered "okay".

How about antidepressants, which are closely tied to violent and suicidal behavior? How about various painkillers that large numbers of people take? When these people cause accidents no one is any the wiser. Perhaps a policy of drug testing everyone who is involved in any accident would garner hitherto ignored data? I'd bet the results would be startling. Dang that US Constitution. Another fascist idea down the tubes. Oh well.

Sad to say, there are many people who are more dangerous stone sober driving around than JB is with 2 beers in him. You should see the local mormon octagenarians when they attempt to drive to church.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
A great reminder. This article should run at the beginning of each riding season. To me, the most striking point of the article was the depression phase, when you begin to return to sober. I can't tell you the number of folks I've met who have a couple drinks, wait for the clock to say they're sober and then take off. Just doesn't work that way with alcohol. Drink when you're butt is where it will stay until morning or have someone else take you home.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Loved the crash photo. A picture is indeed worth 1000 slurs.

Anyone else remember reading Johhny B's assertion that he rides BETTER after a few? Can't remember if it was in the BLM column or here...but I remember it. Obviously it was controversial....as intended, I suspect.

I swear...I crash much more often sober!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I think a cell phone on the ear is easily worth 6 drinks. Maybe more. Won't even mention the people I see shaving, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup, or turned round yelling at the kids on my way to work. Old people are worth 12 drinks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I used to work out of three offices and routinely traveled up and down the interstate at lunch & suppertime. Many were the times that I stopped at Mickey Ds, got a value meal and got back on the road. Driving while eating is a big killer. I never wrecked but, then again, I'd rather be lucky than good. Then the cell phone would go off, a bird would hit the windshield, a truck tire would pop, a deer would bolt. There is just too much else to watch out for without adding distractions yourself.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Watch it there, the last part of your post almost sounds like you want people to actually be skilled and responsible in the operation of a vehicle. This is the US of A boy, everyone has the freedom to be lousy at piloting a 3 ton death machine, and the right to sue everyone else when they screw up.

Good point on the prescription drug. I know one too many people who take prescribed narcotics, and other mind altering substances, and feel fine jumping behind the wheel of a car.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I was a road warrior for many years and ate at the "Dashboard diner" on many occasions. I don't ever remember crashing though. It could have been all those prescription narcotics I was taking though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am utterly shocked! I had no idea JB would ever do something that ran so contrary to what I interpreted to be his most closely held values, and which could have been so detrimental to his image and career! Appearing in a cruiser mag!!!!

What's next? Sean popping up in Easy Rider?!!!

The apocalypse is surely at hand!

·
Registered
729 Posts
seruzawa -- you are beginning to convince me that you are a genuine sage.

I could not agree more. I'd much rather take my chances with most of my friends with a couple of beers as the vast majority of cell-phone wielding, mirror looking dingbats I see in traffic these days. Or the last three ADHD tenants I had, or the legions of drivers completely stoked to nirvana on perfectly legal pharmaceuticals.

Of course the best thing would be if everyone took pride in their driving skills, hit the road with a minimum of chemical help, and always focused on the task at hand, but now I guess I'm just being plumb silly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Window knocking and sleep woes

How many of us have had to physically KNOCK ON THE WINDOWS of some of those giant-sunglasses-equipped, leaned-forward-into-the-dash elderlies to warn them about changing lanes into us?

(well, all right, maybe not HAD to, maybe we could have braked, but it sure scares the daylights out of them)

And then there's highway hypnotism and sleepiness. I'll admit to having a few tough bouts with sleep in cage days.

That's the thing I love about motorcycles: (at least sportbikes, is it the same for big, comfortable cruisers, guys?) you're forced to pay attention to everything around you, all the time. It's a rush, in part, but also an odd reminder when you're in a cage and you realize just how much of a zombie you can be and still drive those things.

I remember that 4am shift I used to work when I bought my bike. The 12-mile ride to work turned from an plodding death march to quite the adrenaline-stirring wake-up call. It rocked.

Plus great parking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was a good article, and valuable information -- FIVE YEARS AGO. Re-telling of valuable lessons from the past is a valid and worthwhile task, but how about posting something new? "How to change your oil"? Have I missed something, or is that the limit of hands-on articles in, what three years? I sure am impressed.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Wave a two dollar bill in front of his eyes and you'd be more than amazed at the behaviors you could command.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
you have to check with Honda or Boehm; nobody really ever gave me the details. Some say it was that minime and me showed up for 929rr track day reeking of alcohol, which is possible cause we did drink some good Scotch the nite before and didn't bother to shower in the a.m. Others say it was dinner that nite, that we drank 2 much wine and were boisterous and obstreperous and annoying. As if we need wine for that... really it was a simple case of boehm wanting to get rid of me and honda giving him a crow bar. everybody is happier now.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
thanks for bringing this up longride you bastard. Talk about your bad science. I only kept drinking after I was buzzed cause it was supposed to be Science and just to make it a fun story I suppose. In actual life, I haven't drunk myself to the projectile vomitage point since I was about 18. I should've just quit at about .13 or whatever and practiced the track and let JE explain the results... and the "crash" shot of me "overbraking" is just after coming down from a stoppie at .24 or whatever after having not such a bad run and falling over from laughing.

All worth it, though, to watch the neighbors as Kevin Smith crawled around sick in my front yard in full leathers...

Naturally I don't condone drunk driving but I also don't think people automatically plunge off the nearest cliff as soon as they pass 0.8, especially those of us who aren't having our first beer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.