Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
The nice thing about magazines is that you can put 25 years worth in boxes and keep them in your closets so that you have room in there for nothing else. The boxes are really heavy, too. Anybody want them?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
The nice thing about magazines is that you can put 25 years worth in boxes and keep them in your closets so that you have room in there for nothing else. The boxes are really heavy, too. Anybody want them?
You s'pose you could scan them things into yer computer, burn it to a couple O' DVD's, then pop 'em into the mail and send 'em to me?

I'd even pay shipping......... :lol:

(Or better yet - just put 'em up on an FTP site, I'll download from there to save the cost of postage)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Ken, I was refering to the new ZX14 based Concours, not the (ahem) "Classic" that you have which is akin to the Trophy as a basic design that works.

I'd be more than happy to take that nasty ol' Shovelhead off your hands, I had '76 Superglide based chopper I built and rode the crap out of and an '80 Po-lice bagger I rode the wheels off also. I love Shovelheads, always room for one in my garage....

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I'll get right on it.
Thanks, 'preciate it. Got an ETA on when I can start the downloads?

(all ridiculousness aside here - I actually LOVE diggin' through old moto/car mags, and especially get a kick out of "predictive" articles. fun to see if they were right. I'd actually be overjoyed to take all those old mags off your hands, but it's not practical for me)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think I can offer some possible answers to your question.

Why? Because magazines, in many cases (as stated here) are more convenient. It's a bit harder to curl up with your laptop.

People still like to hold a magazine, look at the big pictures (a computer screen isn't quite the same). A well designed magazine is just more beautiful than most web sites. They like to feel the paper of a high quality magazine.

They like to be able to throw it in a bag and read it on the train instead of lugging and unpacking a laptop and using their battery power. You probably wouldn't take your laptop to the beach.

It takes time to prepare your digital files to read when you're not going to have internet access. It's easier just to bring a print mag.
I can think of some other reasons. Most websites are pretty clueless about ads. When I get a paper magazine I value the ads. Most websites including this one make ads annoying! I don't want them flashing or sitting in the middle of the text. When they do out comes adblocker.
Second is that most web desginers seem to hate users. Take this site for example. Why is only 1/3 of the screen being used? I understand the use of white space but I want text! I don't want or need huge cream colored bars on the sides of my text to make it easy to read. It is like reading through a pin hole.
Third is frankly lack of depth. Motorcycle.com does good articles but because I can come every day I want new content every day. That makes life very hard for them. I want to see more bike, helmet, and equipment reviews and comparisons. The paper magazines seem to get all the good toys first. Probably because they have more readers which is a shame.
I would really like to re-subscribe to motorcycle.com but the new website I feel is actually a lot less useful than the old.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.