Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tell me about it... when are these guys going to get a clue... the clone market is dead. Too bad flashy marketing seems to beat out real technical innovation. I wonder where Indian would be today if Eller Industries had gotten the rights. At least they had James Parker on board with plans to do a real American made sport bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All I have to say about this Indian thing is,

that no one bought a bike in the '40s' or '50s'

or '60s' or '70s' and even most of the '80s',

for vanitys sake!

I'll have to admit that I've done my share of

showboating on my bikes over the years, but

this parading around like some kind of stuckup

a-hole, ignoring other motorcycle riders, and

and waking up the neighborhood with loud

"look-at-me" pipes, is the worst thing to ever

happen to motorcycling!!!

(P.S. "I really mean 'Harley thing', Indian won't

be around much longer!)

·
Registered
730 Posts
"...reinforce that tradition and further strengthen our competitive position," said Frank O' Connell, CEO...

Competitive? Position? Indian will be competitive when they have a real bike and some real dealers. The price is a joke and I have only seen one on the street. It looks like what it is: nothing.

I like the old Indians and Harleys too, but this company is a joke. It is pathetic what they are doing to this nameplate. I pray that one day an American that cares about motorcycles will own this nameplate, and show the world what we can do.

Foxy

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I don't necessarily agree with the other posters, I will admit that this is a load of corporate

crap. The original Indian had a lousy relationship with its dealers, and you don't go out of business with with "exceptional customer service."

"leveraging Saturn's "mass customization" capability"

"Leveraging" is a catch word that was popular a few years ago "solutions" is the hot word today, they need to at least catch up with the current BS. Seeing either one twice in one press release is a sure sign you need to cover your butt.

Here is what they are really saying.

Indian is in the first stages of death, so the smart guys at Audax see an opportunity to come in and save it with big $ and maybe make a killing, or at least get a tax right off.

This new management team is a group of corporate good old boys who see the opportunity to milk Audax for some big salaries before Indian dies.

This new dude has seen GM kill off Oldsmobile, the oldest name in American auto manufacturing, and feels that Saturn is not long for this world. His good old boy pals at Indian offer him the chance to get in on the action.

If I was an hourly employee at Indian I would be applying for a job as a Sky Marshall.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Indian to More Aggresively Market to Jackas$es

Gilroy (AP) In a surprise move today, Indian Motorcycle Corporation's VP for Marketing announced that the fledgling company would more aggresively market to tasteless jackas$es.

"They are the dream customer for an overpriced, ridiculous product like ours," said Irving Hoover, VP for Marketing, Chrome and Novelties. "I wish we could breed these people. Too much money and not much taste equals ka-ching! ka-ching for us and our shareholders."

Others in the company however, are not as enthusiastic as Hoover. An engineer, wishing to remain anonymous, screamed in agony as a huge overseer branded him with a hot fender support to prod him on in his work. "Aieee! I won't make this bike any heavier with more chrome! It's getting so heavy it can't move under it's own power! No, no, not the whip!"

The jackas$ community welcomes the move by the company. "I think it's fantastic." said J. Thomas Flynn, a Silicone Valley intellectual property attorney and noted jackas$ "Finally, jackas$es are getting the rcognition we deserve with a product that is as blustery, overhyped, and worthless as we are. Harleys are close, but many of their models are hampered by clinging vestiges of utility. Indian gives me an oppurtunity to ride an overpriced, underpowered, uneliable deathtrap that costs more than most people on earth will make in a lifetime. That's practically tailor-made for a jackas$ like myself."

Traditional Indian enthusiasts remain indignant. "That's no Indian!" declared Traditional Indian Enthusiasts of America president Elmo J. Flintlock in a telegraphed interview from his sod hovel in Big Stone, Nebraska. "I won't be ridin' no bike with vulcanized rubber tires, points ignition, or a lubrication system! Give me india rubber, dynamo -advancer and total-loss lubricatin' everytime! I may not be some yahoo careenin' along at 60 miles per hour, but I'll get there! You just give me some time!"

Indian is expected to unveil it's new model, the Indian Excelsior Chief Henderson Fields, in early 2002. It will be constructed entirely of chrome, and the buyer will have the option of having himself chromed and permanently bolted to the motorcycle.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: Indian to More Aggresively Market to Jackas$es

oh man, that was too funny, you get today's prize......yer choice, a dollar, or a new indian

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sorry folks but I can't see how you can consider yourself a "real" motorcycle company with "real" engineers and not even have your own "real" ENGINE DESIGN! I guess the people who buy into this crap aren't the "real" bikers that they think they are....

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it's kinda sad. This new guy obviously is simply a manager. No knowledge of Indian's history or of motorcycles in general. Whilst I may not be a cruiser guy, the Indian name does not deserve to become (er, I guess it already has!) just another marketing tool.

Indian used to be on the forefront of technology and, at the same time, made some great bombproof bikes. Too bad a bit of the investment they made in exec's didn't make it into actual R&D

I'm not certain I agree with posters who shun Indian for not having their own engine. I think they've just got the wrong one. There are lots of engine manufactures out there who, with a little assistance, could provide Indian with a great and potentially unique engine.

Indian's just got to try to be in this for the long run and not just for selling jeans and sweatshirts.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Re: Indian to More Aggresively Market to Jackas$es

Phabulous!

Probably much closer to the truth than the real news-bite.

Good job!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oh, sure...

It's OK to insult generations of Indian owners, but woah! Don't diss the intellectual property attorneys!

Sorry if I offended. I'm sure there's lots of hard-working, principled intellectual property attorneys out there. Just picking a random, high-income profession. Should I have said plastic surgeon? How about record company executive?

·
Registered
238 Posts
They could have done what Triumph did. Current Triumphs aren't perfect, but I would buy one. Indian could do the same thing if they had any guts.

So it goes. They will just be another timid Harley clone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Oh, sure...

I just found it somewhat ironic that you chose the I.P. attorneys since they are the guys who do all the patent/trademark/infringement stuff that has caused all the problems with the right to use issues surrounding the "Indian" name, among other things.

If your selection truly was random, it was surprisingly appropriate. And I wasn't at all offended, I'm an I.P. Engineer, not an attorney ;).

·
Registered
39 Posts
you know it just hit me today how really fugging sick i am of all this

v-twin cruiser thing. i just got back from spending part of my lunch

hour at my favorite newsstand, searching in vain for a magazine that

wasn't full of the same old boring harley clones dressed up in gayer and gayer bodywork. it's nauseating the amount of money that gets sunk into these ridiculous mardi gras floats.

why isn't there an american motorcycle manufacturer making some product

that we can be proud of? Christ, is this the best we can do?

·
Registered
67 Posts
About that engine thing....

Here is a quote from MCN's Website:

"Triumph is close to completing development of its 2200cc machine. And it will be a triple. It will also be the only triple on sale with the crankshaft in-line with the frame.

Indian and Henderson were famous for in-line four-cylinder engines, Sunbeam made a twin in the’50s, and only BMW’s axed K-series 750cc was bold enough use an in-line triple.

The layout makes for a longer wheelbase than an across-the-frame multi-cylinder design, but all cruisers are long and heavy, so the engine set-up seems to make sense. It should give the bike a real " long and low " look."

Even triumph is making an Indianesque bike that is better than the "actual" Indian. With their own engine!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.