Motorcycle Forums banner

Indian Injects More Cash Into Business.

13K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  The_AirHawk 
#1 ·
I like the new Chris-Craft, but can't they just let Indian go. Harley has new bikes on the sales floor, with 06's being discounted. I'd hate to be trying to introduce a new line now.

#2 ·
I don't know what happened to Dave Wright (actually have had the pleasure to talk on many occations) but I hope that he passed along all the ideas I had on the re-launch. I wish Indian the best but if I'm right (and I usually am on these things) they will blow the whole deal up again because they won't actually use "new" ideas for the re-launch. Expect the Power 100 motor and all the old crap they did before to last at least 2 years before Indian snaps into reality and executes new designes. Same old tired ideas. Wish they'd listen to me on this one. I told Rey (CMC's old owner) the same thing in 1998 when he sold to the Canadian's who brought back Indian the last time. Too bad industry people can't communicate with the great unwashed.

#3 ·
I'd like to see Indian resurrect the inline 4 which they made for a few years after they bought out the Henderson Motorcycle company in 1927. We certainly don't need another V-Twin motorcycle manufacturer. Triumph makes something like it with the Rocket III but that thing is an abomination. The Indian 4 didn't have skirted fenders either. Beautiful machine. It would have to have shocks though, the originals were hardtails.

#5 ·
If you've never ridden the Rocket go to a dealer and test it. It's ugly but the thing pulls like a train and moves from side to side like a bike half its weight. My cousin owns a FJR and one weekend I took a RIII home from the shop and we hit the NW GA hills. He NEVER walked away from me. He's no squid, either. He's an ex-pro racer with skills and the person who taught me my skills. The RIII held its own the whole afternoon. Sorry that people can't get over the "car" motor in it. But they are fun.

I do agree that Indian must be different to succeed. The "four" is a wonderful idea. But in order to meet EPA and Euro III regs they'd have no choice but to water-cool it.

#11 ·
I've not ridden a Rocket either, but Hokey Smokes, can I confirm that it feels a LOT lighter when rocking to & fro than one would expect. I was quite suprised.

I'm also a bit suprised that there has yet to be a real touring version - thinking "wingish" road boat - no faux fringe saddlebags, PLEASE!. Perfect motor to be cloaked - if you get my drift...and the perfect powerband for hauling around all that cloaking, wife, dog, Uni-Go trailer and kitchen sink. (on the other hand, any mfg that does what I think outta be done is crazy)

Are we all over fringe yet? Is fringe the motorcycle cliche dou jour of the day yet?

#12 ·
South FL $$ and Chris Craft. Why am I not suprised. When will they leave Indian to molder in peace?

Suppose I'll pile on, too and say the obvious: they need their own engine and look. No clone motors, no fringe-o-logical look, no cribbing the 40's Art-ish Deco-ish look. Nope, needs to be an American Original. Did I say ORIGINAL???

Back to the SW FL and $$$ connection: FL real estate is in the toilet for now and there is a LOT of $$$ looking for a big hit or a big write off to offset other gains.

Gents, this is the high dollar Custom Chopper Crowd - betcha. But the Chris-Craft thing is gnawing at me. Maybe this is finally the real deal?

#13 ·
During my grade school days had a neighbor who rode and restored Indians.

He had a couple of Scouts, couple of Chiefs and a 4. And he was a ham radio operator. And he'd raced Indians in the 30's- with lots of black & whites to prove it.

Needless to say, I left lots of little boy paw prints on his bikes, tools and radios. What a nice fellow he was! Probably the single biggest influence that put me on the path.

He passed before I bought my first bike. I'd loved to have ridden with him.

#17 ·
Re: Here's what I'd like to see

Man, that's neat. Lookitthatmotor! I always said the Turnip 3 cylinder was tryin to capture the looks (motor wise) of an old in-line indian or ACE/Henderson. Cleveland?

Wonder if you could put a Triumph tank on it and import it? Fool Customs and the DOT at the same time..."I bought it off some guy wearing a kilt..."

Register it at the Victorville DMV. They register anything btw. But you have to time it right, when the 2nd lunch truck arrives at 11:30 and management goes out for burritos.

#20 ·
If they're smart they'll buy Honda XR - 100cc engines and build an off-road bike badged as Indian. Keep the price below $10k and then introduce a dual-sport bike with the same motor and go after the scooter girls. They might need more than $30M though. Maybe they can sell T-shirst and cups if the bike don't work out.

#21 ·
Do they even have a dealer base left? I had a shop that I visited that built a brand new building to house their Indian bikes. Less than a year later, he is ready to head to their sales meeting and gets word the company has folded. Does Indian believe those dealers have been waiting around for another rebirth of the brand? Have the dealers been waiting around? Does this mean more push rod motors that might as well have come off a WWI fighter?

#22 ·
They could then put some wings on it, a snout and paint it flesh tone pink. And a little cork-screw tail.

'cause that's when Indian will make a comeback...

#24 ·
Re: Mom in Fringed Chaps???

Bigdx's mom is only 12 years older than him. Keeps it easy for him; only one female relative performs all roles.

#25 ·
You forgot to have it mounted on a Trebuchet - "Time to UN-Pimp, ze Moto!"

#26 ·
Re: Mom in Fringed Chaps???

Maybe so, but he's 74 now.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.