Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Motorcycle Daily:

Apparently, there are actual bikes in actual Dealerships.

If you squint, you might not see all the Harley parts...

'Starting at $30,999.'

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Actually the old 1500 Drifter looked a lot more like a classic Indian. Although I'd hope to see this company survive it's gonna be a tough sell. You'd have a hard time finding a worse time to offer an extremely expensive V-twin cruiser. If the upper class buyers go for them then that might work. The home credit line market is pretty much t1ts-up which leaves out the middle-class buyers.

Since this bike looks exactly like the recently defunct models one has to hope that they improved the reliability drastically.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
It's too raked-out, and the rear fender looks too "mashed" in.

It sucks.
Actually I think the lack of chrome and better use of black paint gave the old Drifter a better classic look.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
It's too raked-out, and the rear fender looks too "mashed" in.

It sucks.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
From Motorcycle Daily:

Apparently, there are actual bikes in actual Dealerships.

If you squint, you might not see all the Harley parts...

'Starting at $30,999.'
The back end looks very "scooterish". Not a strong selling point when you are marketing the "wannabe rough and tough" cruiser crowd.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Actually the old 1500 Drifter looked a lot more like a classic Indian. Although I'd hope to see this company survive it's gonna be a tough sell. You'd have a hard time finding a worse time to offer an extremely expensive V-twin cruiser. If the upper class buyers go for them then that might work. The home credit line market is pretty much t1ts-up which leaves out the middle-class buyers.

Since this bike looks exactly like the recently defunct models one has to hope that they improved the reliability drastically.
I really liked the Drifters. It would be nice to see Kawasaki bring them back at some point.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Check this out

Drifter with a side car.

You could probably pick up a 1500 for 5 grand or less and an 800 for peanuts.

I always thought they were the best Indian copy as well.

Attachments

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Words fail me, at least that Victory Vision is looking better and better

.......+1 on the Drifter, a pretty nice looking bike. One of the few cruisers the Japanese have actually done right IMO

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Not to mention the greatest teevee ad campaign for a bike in history: the Drifter rider dropping the farmer's daughter off at dawn as her Dad runs out to reclaim her honor. "You boink the nicest people on a Drifter!"
That was a rare good one, most Kawi ads are real steamers.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Actually I think the lack of chrome and better use of black paint gave the old Drifter a better classic look.
I was referring to this bike. The Drifter was a cheap plastic copy, but a "good" cheap plastic copy. This bike is a parody, not a copy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts