Motorcycle Forums banner

Indian Larry Killed in Helmetless Stunt

86K views 207 replies 63 participants last post by  Xchoppers 
#1 ·
Re: Indian Larry seriously hurt

Thats to bad, colorful guy, interesting ideas on bikes, but it was just a matter of time before he got hurt doing one of his stupid tricks without wearing a helmet.

#3 ·

Couldn't agree more. I always hate to see someone hurt but riding on a custom made bike with poor geometry while standing on the seat and not wearing any safety gear is going to catch up to you. It is amazing he has lasted this long without a serious accident. I hope he gets better and maybe buys a helmet....

#8 ·

I knew you would turn this into a pro-helmet diatribe Kpaul. Listen, he might've been hit by a bus on the way home or an airplane might've crashed into his house that night or he could've gotten West Nile from a mosquito bite or might've accidentally drank anti-freeze or could've been washed away in a flash flood or snatched up by a tornado or kidnapped by Colombian drug lords or attacked by a pack of feral warthogs.

#10 ·
Re: Indian Larry dead

At least he ate the big one doing something he liked. Beats croaking in a hospital bed.

R.I.P.

#16 ·

JB, I don't mean to speak for the guy, but he lived the way he wanted to live, and I'm sure knew what he did could take him out someday. My parents think anyone that rides a motorcycle, helmet or no, is a complete idiot. They didn't "get it" so to speak. Greg McQuide, God rest his soul, died in full gear. My father would say another idiot just died. I saw a guy that died doing what he loved, and riding the way he wanted to, just like Larry did. You can see it any way you like, but the man lived by his rules and died by em. That's the way I see it.

#17 ·
helmets

i think helmets and full armored leathers are the way i prefer to ride. i owe my life to both helmets and leathers in race crashes. that's what i know from personal experience.

indian larry obviously understood the risk and accepted it.

i hate it that he did, but that's his choice.

many people question my sanity in racing at the age of 47.

sometimes so do i. but when they ask what i consider the most dangerous aspect of it, i usually say, driving my pickup and trailer on i-90 to the seattle races.

i believe in individual freedoms. perhaps the ultimate evidence of exercising such freedom is choosing how you're going to leave this world.

indian larry chose to increase his risk by some percentage number while stunting. i support his choice, i don't question it for a second, and please, please don't tell me he makes it bad for the rest of us.

he didn't. we are on our own.

indian larry posed no threat to me. cell phone toting, suv driving, makeup applying soccer moms are the murderous ones in my opinion.

let's outlaw them first.

now i have to find out if i need to worry about feral warthogs, an entirely new and unexpected threat.

#18 ·

That's too bad about Indian Larry - there are too few like him.

Unfortunately, he didn't carefully evaluate the risks of his stunt. A bike wobble is something you can work through and minimize or elminate before you do the stunt in front of a crowd - especially if you are not going to wear protective gear. It's not like it was a spur of the moment thing that gets most people into trouble.

#20 ·

I could give a damn about the Discovery Channel or television as a whole (we'd all be better-off if both disappeared tomorrow), but Indian Larry was one of the few bike-builders worth a damn. And you don't come upon the real-deal often, my condolences to his family and friends.

#23 ·
[Ramble Mode on]

Helmet laws suck.

Riding without a helmet is dumb.

If you have kids, wear the damn helmet. You're living for them, too.

If you support helmet laws, then don't get upset with people who want to ban motorcycles - if riding with a helmet is safer than riding without, then not riding at all is safer still, no?

I hope I die on a motorcycle instead of in a nursing home at 80.

[Ramble Mode off]

#25 ·

I don't think he liked smacking his head on the ground. From what I gather, that was an accident that happened while he was riding a motorcycle, which is something he apparently did like. It's like if you were to suffer a fatal heart attack while making a smug, illogical comment - if people said, "He died doing what he loved", they wouldn't mean clutching your chest and falling over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.